Pex tubing underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Don klassen

Reaction score
Hi I have a house in Phoenix Az. I want to run a Pex waterline from the front of the house to the back for the pool water supply. There is a pool waterline at the back right now but it comes from the house. The house is vacant quite often and i would like to be able to shut the house water off. the problem i have is where i want to tap into the water supply is 18" above ground, and I've heard you can't expose Pex to UV rays. So would it be bad just for 18" to be exposed in the AZ sun. The other option is to tap into the copper water line underground, but is it legal to have a pex to copper connection underground?

Don

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sunlight exposed PEX would take a beating. I would run the copper for the top side, and connect the PEX underground.
Transition fittings underground are fine.

Don klassen

Reaction score
The sunlight exposed PEX would take a beating. I would run the copper for the top side, and connect the PEX underground.
Transition fittings underground are fine.
Thanks Terry so there should be no problem teeing in to the existing line underground and running the pex from the tee, with the crimp fittings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; so there should be no problem teeing in to the existing line underground and running the pex from the tee, with the crimp fittings.

There is a BIG problem with doing it that way. You MUST have an approved "pressure" backflow preventer/vacuum breaker on the line where it connects to the house supply, and it will have to be 12" above ground to be legal. Do that portion and the drop to the underground PEX with copper. From there you can run the PEX using the crimp fittings.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks