Pex swivel adapter leaking like crazy!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by littlehoov, Jul 1, 2014.

1. littlehoov

littlehoov New Member

Hello all, i am attemtpting to fix a tiny leak in one of the tub connections in my mobile home, so far ive made it exponentially worse.

I have pb pipe so i used a pb to pex adapter with no problems, a short piece of pex, and a 90 degree adapter that is supposed to be for sinks, etc. it has a rubber cone washer inside. I thought it would replicate the old setup well. Which was a 90 degree pb fitting.

Simply put the swivel fitting leaks like mad no matter how tight i get it, and i can move the brass portion around no matter how tight the nut is. What am i doing wrong?!

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Unless it came with a cone washer, I would be using a flat washer.
  3. littlehoov

littlehoov New Member

I just used whatever type of washer was in it. These are the fittings i attempted to use:
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Cash-Acme-UC532LF-1-2-x-1-2-FNPT-Sharkbite-Swivel-Elbow-Lead-Free

I dont really know that the washers can be removed/replaced? But that is what it acted like, that the washer wasnt even touching the faucet stem....how is it. Any different from a sink i wonder?

For the time being i cut off the pex fitting and am using a watts quick connect. Not ideal, but should work for a while. Its easy access so even if i feel like i need to put a new one on every couple years its a 5 minute job unless i can find a better solution short of a new faucet, new walls, etc.