PEX Pros and Cons

Users who are viewing this thread

Construct30

Reaction score
I emailed zurn twice and asked what I should do with all their brass fittings I
have.
I have yet to hear back from them. I used their product because they are based out of Erie Pa and I wanted to help a business in my state.
I should have gone with wirsbo, but I liked the look of the brass fittings over the poly fittings. It was the poly fittings that broke with PB. I guess you can never know for sure. Turns out the poly fittings are the way to go.
It bothers me that I used their product in good faith and now they won't reply to my questions.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
http://www.zurnclassaction.com/

Are you saying that the brass fittings they are selling now, are the same substandard brass fittings that were being sold then, and that they are continuing to sell them with reckless abandon regardless of the class action being taken?

Of course; that's how it works. Do the math:

They know their product is screwed,

They know from previous class action lawsuits that:

Only a small fraction are made aware, get the luxury of getting payouts
The earnings of the product UNTIL it is deemed defective by government standard will help offset the costs incurred in the payout.

They'll comply and own up to liability, pay dividends to the largest corporations and the homeowner will get under 8 grand for a 2.5 bath home for a repipe.

The plumber will be screwed because if he/she was dumb enough to follow the easy train, rightfully they deserve the backlash for not using a tried and true product. That's where all those plumbers in Nevada are now working for McDonald's because they put profits in front of protection to the buying public.

Zurn will spend a couple million on tv advertising, mail notification.....give windows of when you can apply, how many hoops you need to jump through and

HERE'S YOUR DEADLINE IF YOU WAS AFFECTED

On average, a class action lawsuit only yields 40-50% of it's affected base......the rest are those who "I didn't hear anything about that" or "Oh really? I saw something like that but didn't know I had that in my house" or the best "We just bought this place and heard about the lawsuit but we thought all this stuff was removed" :(

Just like RJ Reynolds; sure, they paid out billions but do you realize that they are the company that gets you hooked on cigarrettes.....and now they offer the products to get you "off" cigarrettes. <<< How good do you think they have it now? It's a win-win situation. You used their product, now you know how bad it is.....now they want to "Help" get off their bad product.

My rant is a dime a dozen but I love watching the risk takers. I love sitting from afar watching people gloat of how great something is and how they can do circles around the old stuff because "That's what they said about copper and pvc years ago when they was using galvanized and cast iron."

But one statement is left out of the above; there wasn't lawsuits left and right on the use of copper and pvc for DWV systems. This spaghetti pipe is riddled with land mines and IED's full of possibilities of failure.

What I've gathered from the numerous forums I belong to is that Wirsbo is the only one standing alone without problems....yet, and that is why the plumbers are flocking to its use.

I'm so glad there's enough existing plumbing service in my area to last me until I retire......

The new age plumbers aren't going to know what a torch is....solder.....sandcloth? What the **** is that?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Results of a tabacco settlement

Posted by Rugged:

"Just like RJ Reynolds; sure, they paid out billions but do you realize that they are the company that gets you hooked on cigarrettes.....and now they offer the products to get you "off" cigarrettes. <<< How good do you think they have it now? It's a win-win situation. You used their product, now you know how bad it is.....now they want to "Help" get off their bad product."

PA Department of Insurance
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Facts about adultBasic[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Introduction/Summary[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Pennsylvania is committed to quality health care for all of its residents.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]In June 2001, Governor Tom Ridge signed into law the Health Investment Insurance Act (Act 77 of 2001). Act 77 is a dramatic initiative that invests the proceeds of the state's tobacco settlement in the health of Pennsylvania consumers. The state is expected to receive approximately $11 billion over the course of 25 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]The largest single component of the settlement will provide health insurance to a number of uninsured Pennsylvanians between the ages of 19 and 64. The program will provide health insurance for adults meeting certain income requirements and who do not have health care coverage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]This new program -adultBasic- is administered by the Pennsylvania Insurance Department and offers basic benefits, including, preventive care, physician services, diagnosis and treatment of illness or injury, in-patient hospitalization, out-patient hospital services and emergency accident and medical care.[/FONT]

http://www.ins.state.pa.us/ins/cwp/view.asp?a=1278&q=527068

Last edited:

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I emailed zurn twice and asked what I should do with all their brass fittings I
have.
I have yet to hear back from them. I used their product because they are based out of Erie Pa and I wanted to help a business in my state.
I should have gone with wirsbo, but I liked the look of the brass fittings over the poly fittings. It was the poly fittings that broke with PB. I guess you can never know for sure. Turns out the poly fittings are the way to go.
It bothers me that I used their product in good faith and now they won't reply to my questions.

There are other manufacturers of brass pex fittings. Vanguard, durapex to name a couple who haven't shown up in any legal battles so far.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the use of PEX is rodents chewing through it and causing leaks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That only happens with this brand!

cheddarflavorpex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is the exact same brand that I have had problems with.

Nice pic.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The defendants in Cox v Shell, the class-action suit launched in the wake of thousands of PolyB claims, agree to a settlement worth about $950 million, one of the largest settlements in US history.

Holy Flurking Schnit!!! Don't think about all that money....think about how many people were affected by that "stuff we throw together in about 5 minutes! Works great and it's cheaper than anything out there!! W00T!!

Construct30

Reaction score
Those were commonly referred to as acetal, not poly.

More.

I guess I should have just said grey plastic PB fittings, didn't think any one would know what acetal fittings were. Thank you for making me be specific, I guess PEX gets too much bad press from some of the guys to make the mistake of comparing it to PB.

pb_pipe_shutoff.jpg

I'm glad some guys are happy with the product. I for one have had no problem with the zurn fittings, I like the stuff. I like supporting a company based in my own state and rather close to me. I still think many of the breaks are bad installation. I installed some of the zurn brass fittings in my inlaws house about three years ago and I tried to break some of them as an experiment the other day and can't.

How are the copper PEX fittings? A local supplier sells them. I know I'm switching to the wirsbo, but I like to keep some of the crimps to deal with the manufactured home repairs.

I read on a website that you can use wirsbo pipe on a crimp fitting and convert to wirsbo expansion fittings. Can you use a wirsbo fitting with a crimp on one side for say zurn pipe and then switch to wirsbo? I'm just wondering if I switch to wirsbo and run into crimp fittings how do you make the transition? Also how do you transition from PB to wirsbo, I do a lot of that? Zurn sells great crimp fittings for that. I'm not wild about all the compression watts fittings and sharkbites. I use sharkbites for temporary fixes when I can't get the water shut off and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Construct30

Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the use of PEX is rodents chewing through it and causing leaks.

If you have "RODENTS" chewing on your pipes, PEX lawsuits are not something you should have as your biggest worry.

What kind of lawsuit would that be? Rat V ?, how could you tell who the lawyers were?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Construct30 said:
How are the copper PEX fittings?

Fine here. i wonder how well they do in places where the water is extremely aggressive - like the mountains above CA. If it was eating out copper systems, will it also eat out copper PEX fittings? How about brass?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
What kind of lawsuit would that be? Rat Vs ?, how could you tell who the lawyers were?

AHHAHAH that's damn funny.

Cass says he had problems with rodent chewing on wirsbo...is that something specific to wirsbo? It's the first time that I have heard anything bad about that make of pex.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Cass says he had problems with rodent chewing on wirsbo...is that something specific to wirsbo? It's the first time that I have heard anything bad about that make of pex.

Rodents chew on anything soft to prevent the rapid growth of their teeth to the point they can't eat anymore.

PEX is soft and gives that ability.......I believe it has nothing to do with them looking for a source of water.

This "issue" was heavily discounted when it became known......blaming the property owner for having rodent parties and not taking care of their home.

Unrealistic at best since rodents/insects of all types usually inhabit homes without knocking on the door first and say "Hey we thought we'd all stop by.......we're letting you know we're here!!!"

CPVC doesn't have this problem as I suppose the hard outer surface prevents this.

Anyway, more and more threads are created on an ongoing basis surrounding this issue and it's become something that is factual rather than fictional.

I have heard that the rodents work undercover for the makers of copper pipe and pipe fittings and unionized back in 88'. MSNBC has been investigating these matters...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks