Would you have any quelms using expansion on zurn pex that's had chlorinated water for 3yrs?

Users who are viewing this thread

axxell

Reaction score
I'm doing some repairs and installs of new fixtures. House is 3yrs old in phx area, with zurn pex expansion fittings. I'm on chlorinated water and wonder if I should not risk expanding at this point, and go with copper crimp rings? Could the pex be more susceptible to splitting at this point? What would you do?

dollinger

Reaction score
From what I read so far it shouldn't be a problem especially if the pipe hasn't been exposed to UV light. But if the fitting is accessible for a crimp tool I would probably just do that if you have the tool.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I think three years is well within a window that I personally would feel comfortable expanding, but I would probably *warm* up the pipe before expanding (warm, not hot ;)). I think a nice warm pipe would have much less chance of enduring some stress while expanded.

I would also consider a whole house chlorine filter for any pipe, including today's copper.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks