PEX ID and improper clamps

Users who are viewing this thread

Slomoola

Reaction score
Here is one wall area I didn't redo. Opened it up due to recent leaks. Wanted to see if it was what I was seeing previously from my first plumber.

Sure enough, Uponor blue colored PEX pipe with copper crimp PEX B rings. Didn't we just cover, thanks to a fellow forum member, that Uponor only makes PEX A? We all can see the copper clamps that were used as I previously mentioned. All of this is getting torn out.

These pics are a mix of plumber 1 and plumber 2. And what brand of PEX is that white pipe with no markings? In one pic I swear I can see it swelling on the hot side. All the white pipe is the hot side.

And notice all the stainless cinch clamps are too close to the fitting on the white no name pipe.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Slomoola

Reaction score
I thought, being a couple sandwiches shy of a party, you used the proper PEX A rings with A pipe. And B pipe with clamps. Learn something new again.

For the record, Uponor blue is fine with B copper clamps?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
All PEX can be crimped or cinched. Only PEX A can be expanded. (Exception being a select few B manufacturers that are rated for expansion.)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought, being a couple sandwiches shy of a party, you used the proper PEX A rings with A pipe. And B pipe with clamps. Learn something new again.

For the record, Uponor blue is fine with B copper clamps?
As far as copper rings I thought they were fine with Pex A or B as well, crimps and clamps regardless of there type metal I think are ok above ground no idea about below ground usage. the color of the pipe Ive never heard matters either.
Originally My understanding was Uponnor could be joined with any of the methods and type B was limited to non expansion methods. I belive only some Type A pex is now allowed to use expansion.

Slomoola

Reaction score
I figured if you have PEX A pipe you must use A clamping devices. B pipe the same, B clamps. Trying to learn about this. Thanks to all offering some wisdom.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Pex A can be crimped without issue
Not trying to argue but why would in my case a pro plumber buy PEX A pipe and use B copper rings? Isn't A pipe more expensive than B?

Not that it matters. It's all coming out anyway. I had a plumber do this while I was at work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would a pro plumber use crimps would be my questiom? Maybe he felt like you didnt trust expansion? or he dosent trust it? but nothing wrong at all with crimping type A or B
Maybe I missed why you are working on the system ? looks like slab leak repair on copper pex ran overhead as a re route

Slomoola

Reaction score
Why would a pro plumber use crimps would be my questiom? Maybe he felt like you didnt trust expansion? or he dosent trust it? but nothing wrong at all with crimping type A or B
Maybe I missed why you are working on the system ? looks like slab leak repair on copper pex ran overhead as a re route
I am removing all Uponor pipe from my house. No leaks as of yet from the pipe. Simply to make me sleep better LOL. That and I like learning about things and doing it myself. Running Sioux Chief PEX A and Boshart stainless steel fittings. Oh and Sioux Chief copper manifolds. I've picked up a lot of flow removing all the restrictive B fittings for sure.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. All of those numbers stamped on the PEX pipes tells you all you need to know about the pipe and what fittings you can use. Take the numbers printed on the pipe and do the google.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think uponor actually makes a type of crimp or cinch ring but I've never used them. Sometimes I go to a job and someone did the whole project in pex b. I'll hook pex a to pex b using a cinch ring and then expend from there. It's fine.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks