P trap Configuration problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

kman711

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I put In a new sink and this sink aligns differently than the last owners sink. I have all of the tools, new tail piece, p trap, trap arm, etc...

The pipe coming out of the wall is very close to the tailpiece, only about 2 inches from it, which is causing me issues, which is my 1st issue, but the main problem is the middle opening of the wall pipe going out to the sewer almost aligns with the tailpiece, leaving me no room to attach the p trap and arm into the sewer pipe.

I have included pictures below. Most of the pictures are to show what my problem is and what connections I have. Please let me know how I can fix this problem, as I do not want to have to modify the sewer pipe, as it seems to be glued in when I tried to turn it with a wrench..

Also, the pictures of the garbage disposal is something I was able to hook up, please let me know if this looks correct, no leaking on that guy after I tested it.

1- Is there any way to make more distance between the tail piece/ ptrap connection, and the sewer line coming out of the wall, without cutting the pipes back further?

2- Is there anything I can do so the tailpiece does not interfere with the opening where my trap arm should go?

Attachments

• IMAG2104.jpg
    IMAG2104.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG2095.jpg
    IMAG2095.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG2096.jpg
    IMAG2096.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG2098.jpg
    IMAG2098.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG2099.jpg
    IMAG2099.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG2100.jpg
    IMAG2100.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 236

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you will need to get the pipes cut back farther so that there is some distance between a new trap adapter and the tailpiece.

A hacksaw and a RamBit might be a way to accomplish this. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipe-fitting-removal-tool.html is a similiar tool, but where the RamBit removes the inside part, the fiting removal tool cuts away the outer part.

I am not a plumber, and I have not used the tools that I mentioned.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would cut the PVC coupling in half and then carefully cut the remaining half off the pipe by slicing it horizontally in 3 or 4 locations and peeling it away. It all comes down to how good the solvent weld really is on that piece of pipe. The rambit would make quick work of it, but is not in many toolboxes I have seen.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a disposer, you can use the dishwasher port on that. You will need to knock out the plug first.
As far as the pipe at the wall goes, you may need to cut and modify some of that. You may be better off removing that last 45.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm on the same wavelength with cacher_chick. You're gonna have to peel a hub to change the geometry enough to make your connection. Lucky you, looks like you have as many as three chances to get it right. Make your cut and peel the rest of the fitting off as described by CC. If you goober it up, move back a fitting and try it again. The swing around on the p-trap will be your savior.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks