Our pressure tank is leaking

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Crafter_Man, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Crafter_Man

Crafter_Man New Member

Our home is on a well. About a month ago our pressure tank started leaking. Some pics:

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5

The tank is located in the basement. I am guessing it was installed in 1989, when the house was built. It is an A.O. Smith Aqua-Air V60.

Can the tank be repaired? Or do I need a new one?

In either case, is this a job I can do myself? (I am pretty handy. I have quite a few tools, and have installed copper pipe and plastic drain pipe a number of times over the years.)
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

You MIGHT get lucky and find there is a pin hole in the piece of copper tubing between the tank Tee and the tank. However, that tank is pretty old so I would replace it and get rid of those galvanized fittings at the same time. Be sure to put in a pressure relief valve too.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Most of those tanks don't last 10 years, so I would say that you got your money's worth.
  4. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Those Goulds tanks were almost as bad a Sta Rite signature 2000
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

6. jswordy

jswordy New Member