Old supply line rubber seal disintegating

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
Hello. I replaced my toilet but I didn't replace my old supply line. When I touched the rubber gasket, it was oily and when I filled the tank little black specks went into the tank. Is it common practice to replace the supply line or just the gasket? Can those little black specks clog the internal parts of your toilet? Thanks

seann

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello. I replaced my toilet but I didn't replace my old supply line. When I touched the rubber gasket, it was oily and when I filled the tank little black specks went into the tank. Is it common practice to replace the supply line or just the gasket? Can those little black specks clog the internal parts of your toilet? Thanks
Yes, it's a good idea to just replace the supply line when ever you replace your toilet. Otherwise there is a high chance of the old supply line leaking. I wouldn't worry about the black rubber pieces clogging anything up. It will be fine. Worst possible case scenario, your fill valve could theoretically plug up with debris and then you would need to replace it ( which is fairly cheap and easy). But that would be almost impossible to have a fill valve clog from a little bit of supply line rubber washer fragments. There would have to be a Substantial amount of debris going into the fill valve before that would even be a possibility.
Another thing to consider as to why you should replace old supply lines when changing out an old fixture is for the same reason that you should always make sure your clothes washing machine supply lines are in good shape. An old hose or supply line has the possible risk of breaking or bursting if not in good shape, or after being disturbed after being not being touched in a long time, and sometimes a supply line or hose can just burst at any time if of cheap quality. Then you could have major flooding in you home.
This isn't the place to try to save a money. Just replace it with a decent quality supply line. Preferably braided steel type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks