old high gallon toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ten High

Reaction score
This question is about an old 1950s era flush toilet. Not sure of brand, but the tank is an old "high volume" capacity, probably 5 or 6 gallons, I would imagine.
Question: Can the original water tank water level be set somewhat lower, which will reduce the flush amount/volume of water ?
I ask because in replacing the water inlet and flush valve, I may have to end up with a bit lower water level with the new parts. Not totally sure about that, maybe having to play with the new part float inlet setting.
Wondering: if set to a lower level, thus having less water in the tank for the flush, will the toilet work properly ?

Reach4

Reaction score
It may or may not flush OK that way. That has the advantage of keeping the static water pressure up.

Some people put bricks into the tank to use less water.

If this is an old ball-cock valve, you can bend the float rod down. If this has been replaced with a newer flush valve, those are typically adjustable.

Peterson

Reaction score
If you lower the water level in the tank, It's going to flush slower and not as powerful, but it also may work just fine. Sometimes, some of the older toilets tended to overflush the bowl a little bit. Once you get your new parts in, I'd experiment around with the water levels to see what would work best for the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks