Old Culligan Mk512 softener. Worth trying to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

tgreif

Reaction score
I have a vintage Mark 512 Culligan softener that I bought used back in 1990. My water is only about 10 grains hard. I've replaced the solenoid plungers and rubber diaphragms a few times, as well as the salt tank fill float valve, but that's about it. Lately, it started leaking around the head during backwash. I found a crack in the 45-degree drain fitting on the head where the hose connects. I sort of fixed that with some electrical tape and a hose clamp (redneck saddle). Now, I see where the drain line has a pretty constant drip into the drain, probably one drip every second or two. This has to be a slight leak inside the head, probably due to a small seal failure. My local Culligan dealer tells me this machine is obsolete and no repair or replacement parts are available anymore. I have no idea how old this unit was when I bought it, but I've gotten 28 years of really reliable service out of it. This thing is like a tank. I still have some solenoid plungers and diaphragms but no valve cartridge assemblies or the cracked drain fitting that has an o-ring and crescent ring on it to attach to the backing plate. I really hate to send this old girl to the landfill, but I also hate wasting up to 5 or more gallons a day on a leaky drain. Does anybody know of a source of parts for these old Culligans? Or should I just put it to bed? I realize there's a fine line between frugal and stupid. I may have crossed that line.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Odds are good you can find replacement O-rings by size, and repair small cracks with epoxy sealants of some kind. For other parts, find a local teenager who has a 3-D printer and let him have at it.