Rainfresh Water Softener - Resin water flowing sound + brine tank doesn't refill + air in drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ABRed

Reaction score
I have a Rainfresh 45FTM water softener. Lots of maintenance on it, I can take the thing apart and put it together again in my sleep, I think. But this problem is new and their support is slow to respond, I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what needs fixing. Do I need to take the entire head off and check inside the resin tank itself (this is a total pain, literally, arthritis).

Setup: Well water, very high iron, manganese, h2s. Softener is 5 years old and got new resin 2 years ago. We have an iSpring spin down sediment filter followed by Rainfresh Greensand filter, followed by the water softener. We only use Sifto CrystalPlus salt. When all 3 are working properly, the water is quite decent (still goes through a 6 stage RO for drinking though) with no staining and only a faint, funky engine smell.

Current problems: All 3 started at the same time, noticed yesterday morning after that night's regeneration (every 3 days). (1) There's a "tinny" water flowing sound in the resin tank when water is run in the house, (2) the brine tank isn't refilling, and (3) there's air shooting out of the drain line at the start of regeneration.

The resin tank sound we have heard once before but regeneration stopped it. I regened twice yesterday (manually adding 4.5 gallons of water to the brine tank), then this morning, I cleaned the control head and all it's parts, and checked for a salt bridge, and regened again. I took out the brine float assembly but haven't done much with it except ensure the float is in the right place, so I don't know if something might be wrong with it.

Other things to note - It's pulling brine just fine, but not replacing it. Our water is still softened. It is not in bypass mode.

Thanks for any direction you can give me!

MKE_Mike

Reaction score
I suspect that you are drawing air during the brine cycle. It may be that the salt draw time is too long or the air check in the softener valve is leaking air. This would be the most likely reason for this, but the air may be coming from another part of your system. All this air in the system requires resolution before any other situation could be resolved. The air causes the dynamics of the regeneration cycle to be disrupted. This in turn causes all kinds of difficulties. Please try to resolve where the air is coming from and then we can determine why the brine tank isn't refilling. Best of luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks