Old Culligan Mk512 softener. Worth trying to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

tgreif

Reaction score
I have a vintage Mark 512 Culligan softener that I bought used back in 1990. My water is only about 10 grains hard. I've replaced the solenoid plungers and rubber diaphragms a few times, as well as the salt tank fill float valve, but that's about it. Lately, it started leaking around the head during backwash. I found a crack in the 45-degree drain fitting on the head where the hose connects. I sort of fixed that with some electrical tape and a hose clamp (redneck saddle). Now, I see where the drain line has a pretty constant drip into the drain, probably one drip every second or two. This has to be a slight leak inside the head, probably due to a small seal failure. My local Culligan dealer tells me this machine is obsolete and no repair or replacement parts are available anymore. I have no idea how old this unit was when I bought it, but I've gotten 28 years of really reliable service out of it. This thing is like a tank. I still have some solenoid plungers and diaphragms but no valve cartridge assemblies or the cracked drain fitting that has an o-ring and crescent ring on it to attach to the backing plate. I really hate to send this old girl to the landfill, but I also hate wasting up to 5 or more gallons a day on a leaky drain. Does anybody know of a source of parts for these old Culligans? Or should I just put it to bed? I realize there's a fine line between frugal and stupid. I may have crossed that line.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Odds are good you can find replacement O-rings by size, and repair small cracks with epoxy sealants of some kind. For other parts, find a local teenager who has a 3-D printer and let him have at it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks