Old Crane tub/shower handle Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

tech3500

Reaction score
The hot handle in my old Crane shower/tub keeps loosening over time. We keep a screw driver nearby to tighten it back up, but a week or so later the screw is loose again.

Last year I took the handle off and found a little plastic white insert to be worn down. Found a replacement and replaced it. Handle Issue was repaired, for close to a year or so, but clearly didn't last.

Ser attached pictures of the handle.

Ive thought of placing a bit of low strength thread locker on this little screw? But if I ever need to get back in there again, I don't want the screw to be near impossible to get off. So I'm hoping there is a better solution. Also a bonus points if anyone knows the screw size or work to get a replacement, the head on the current one is definitely worn from the constant retightening.

tech3500

Reaction score
For some reason the insert is not shown on any of the parts sheets.
I have the new screws (correct ones, ty!) and have now decided to go ahead and replace both of the Dial-ese cartridges as well.

Both of my handles, cold and hot, turn clockwise to open. I'm assuming this means that the installer just happened to use two cold ones? I read that if it's my wing type handle it's generally one of each (Cold is clockwise, hot is counterclockwise) but in my case they both turn the same clockwise direction. I'll probably just continue this orientation and purchase two cold cartridges, unless you can think of any issues with this idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks