Old American Standard bathtub/shower faucet leaking

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Michael Carnahan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Michael Carnahan

Michael Carnahan New Member

I have an old 1960s American Standard single pull faucet in my bathtub/shower that has begun to leak. I am trying to remove the stem and replace it, but can’t see any obvious way of removing it. I believe the series number is N1032. I found a diagram online, but it wasn’t much help. Any suggestions on how to remove it, or make it stop dripping would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I believe once you remove the chrome tube you will start to see what you need to see.

Personally I'd use a pipe cutter on the lines supplying it and the riser before I played with it....
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The two bolts on either side should be holding the valve together and once they are removed the valve should come apart. The replacement springs and stems will go in through the two "caps" you will find on the top, when you get it out. You should not have to do anything with the handle stem, since is it just a cam which wiggles the operating stems to open it. The springs close it.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

My mother had that valve, it lasted for 35 years, and was still working.
    I replaced all of the valves with new pressure balanced valves, but 35 years and going? I was impressed.
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

That's a quality valve by a quality manufacturer if I ever saw one.