Old American Standard bathtub/shower faucet leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Carnahan

Reaction score
I have an old 1960s American Standard single pull faucet in my bathtub/shower that has begun to leak. I am trying to remove the stem and replace it, but can’t see any obvious way of removing it. I believe the series number is N1032. I found a diagram online, but it wasn’t much help. Any suggestions on how to remove it, or make it stop dripping would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael
5075741459_bed5f253e8.jpg

5076338542_9223085123.jpg

5075741451_b1288518e4.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe once you remove the chrome tube you will start to see what you need to see.

Personally I'd use a pipe cutter on the lines supplying it and the riser before I played with it....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two bolts on either side should be holding the valve together and once they are removed the valve should come apart. The replacement springs and stems will go in through the two "caps" you will find on the top, when you get it out. You should not have to do anything with the handle stem, since is it just a cam which wiggles the operating stems to open it. The springs close it.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mother had that valve, it lasted for 35 years, and was still working.
I replaced all of the valves with new pressure balanced valves, but 35 years and going? I was impressed.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's a quality valve by a quality manufacturer if I ever saw one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks