Non-kit “full size” sink trap — how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a 2” stubout hub in the wall and was planning on transitioning down to 1-1/2” then to a 1-1/2” trap adaptor (and then use a full-size 1-1/2” trap: NIBCO 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV Hub x Hub P-Trap). Problem is, that trap adaptor doesn’t fit the standard DWV 1-1/2”. Is there such a thing as “full size” trap adaptors — can anyone help explain this to me? How does one avoid the thin-walled kits? This is something that has had me stumped for quite a while, enough that I always give up and end up buying the bagged kits from the big-box stores.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as “full size” trap adaptors
1-1/2 inch trap adapter normally implies it accepts 1.5 inch OD. If you want bigger, that would usually be glued.

What are you trying to achieve?

Reaction score
1-1/2 inch trap adapter normally implies it accepts 1.5 inch OD. If you want bigger, that would usually be glued.

What are you trying to achieve?

I’m just trying to put it a full-size 1-1/2” trap like a: NIBCO 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV Hub x Hub P-Trap but I guess what you are saying is that those are only for glue-ups and the slip-hub trap adaptors are just for the thin-walled pvc (like the ones in the kits)?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that is it. The thin polypropylene stuff (the common material for slip-joint traps) is actually pretty durable. The slip joint stuff is much easier to align, and can be disassembled for cleaning or rodding access. I think to glue traps and get them aligned would take a lot of practice.

There are also 17 gauge chrome-plated brass or rough brass 1-1/2 inch brass slip joint traps. They look more impressive.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cheap plastic traps last longer than the brass ones on a kitchen sink. Sorry to all those that think of them as an upgrade.

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks