Non Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a whole bunch of them really but I think I will pick on one just for the fun of it. I used to call myself a conservative repulican but honestly, I don't think there is any such thing, well at least not as packaged by the current spate of talk show hosts, tea party representatives and pundants. Last week I was watching some dufus congressman from Arizona eloquently proposing that a wall be built to keep the illegal immigrants from Mexico from streaming across the boarder. Sounds good doesn't it? Let's drop our knee jerk red neck yahoo reaction for a second though and think this one through. Let's start with the logistics of building this wall. For starters, it's going to have to be a pretty tall, thick and long wall in order to be of much use. How tall? Well, at least taller than a standard 40' aluminum ladder. How wide? Wide enough so that it can't be busted through with sledge hammers or a few sticks of dynomite. How long? No point is half assing things, it's going to have to stretch from Baja to the other side of Texas. Don't ask me how many miles that is, it's a lot and it's final length would be dictated by the terrain. Now the big question and that is "how much" Again, tough to figure but it's got to be in the billions. Perhaps we could keep the cost down if we hired illegal aliens to build it.
Once we build this wall how are we going to patrol it and maintain it because after all you and I both know that it will be under constant attack from tunneling, climbers and those with access to high explosives. So how many soldiers/policemen are we going to need to keep an eye on this thing and how much is that going to cost? Are you beginning to see what a dumb idea building a wall is? Yet, there are still a whole lot of ignorant congressmen talking about doing just that or are they really just flapping their lips to keep the redneck base happy. After all, come election time they will always be able to tell their constituants that they tried.

So.... lets move on. Since wall building does not seem a practical solution to the alien problem, how about running them out of the country? Let's make you the President. Poof, you are the President. You got elected because you promissed to run every single illegal out of Dodge so to speak. Beginning tomorrow you are going to hire enough soldiers/policemen to start rounding them all up. And then you will authorize the building of jails and holding facilities, branch I.N.S. offices in every major and minor city, staffing, transportation, operational costs etc. to the tune of how many billions? But that's the least of your problems because within minutes of your announcement to rid the nation of the scourge what do you think the stock market will do? How about the cost of produce and goods? Housing and construction costs. If you think the economy is bad now, it would be non existant within an hour of your election.

Ok so neither one of those solutions seem viable do they? Now perhaps you understand why politicians all love to posture but nothing ever get's done. Nothing will ever get done either. It can't get done. There are too many of them and too much of the economy is tied to the problem. Even the best and most simple solution which would be to jail those that hire illegals will never happen for the same reason.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My family did a bit of farming in the 70's
Most of our crops we could bring in with a rented harvester. However we started planting apples on part of the land, and of course you can't pick those quickly enough without help. My parents sold that farm a long time ago, but when I drive through there now, many of the stores are Spanish speaking. I don't see to many "Americans" wanting to do the farm work needed to feed us.

There is less immigration then before. They are having smaller families in Mexico, and the incomes are going up there. Many are starting to stay "home" now that they are getting better educations. In the future, who will be doing our farm labor?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
My 70 year old friend from Portugal came with an orange in his pocket. Worked at a dairy, bought a few cows. Imported a good Portugese wife.

Now he has a shade shed for his several thousand milking cows about 3/4 of a mile long. Built him a tower on the house so he could drink him morning coffee with binoculars and watch the cousins and mexicans and yes! whites keep them all alive.

Without immigrants we would all be driving Ramblers still. And paying more for milk than gas.

Though I must wonder why every motel and small store in the USA is owned by the India-ans.

Last edited:

TJanak

Reaction score
The border fence being built in Texas by the federal government is 20' tall. The joke is that there is going to be a run on 21' ladders.

Since when did a fence stop anybody. They barely stop livestock.

Also the fence is built in segments only through the most highly populated areas. That's about as smart as building a fence in the first place.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We've been arguing about this for hundreds of years.

You're all on English land anyway so it makes no difference.

I say open the borders.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Open the borders with 6 month work passes, renewable by the employer. Then enter each number into a lottery so 10% get to stay forever.

NOW Ian, you got your taxes for the first time from the Mexicans.

And you have photos, fingerprints, and DNA so you can find them when they disappear.

That would be far too sensible for our government of golf ball driving morons to figure out.

And we can pay them minimum wage to finish the wall, - shorter with more cameras and devices, to keep the drug runners out. Build work camps like the Hoover damn days for them to work out of.

The honest, real workers will come for the entry card.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Without immigrants we would all be driving Ramblers still. And paying more for milk than gas.

[/QUOTE]

I recently bought a gallon of 2 percent milk in semi-remote ontario and paid $5.25 CDN for it, which exchanges to about $5.75 USD. Gas was only $1.17 per litre CDN, which exchanges to $4.90 USD per gallon. Most nonbanking establishments are charging a 10% premium for US dollar purchases, which soon will be increased to 15%. The mighty American pesodollar has fallen. I hope Terry is benefitting from the weak dollar by exporting lots of Totos to Canada, although where I frequent there is a surprising number of good old fashioned outhouses.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I can't see any problem with adding a few more cowboys to a nation full of cowboys.

You do have the space.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
[QUOTE
You're all on English land anyway so it makes no difference.

/QUOTE]

Ian-by that logic you are an Italian subject, as Great Britain was once part of The Roman Empire. In deference to her rightful superiors, I think the Queen should therefore have to ride in a Fiat. Did I read that Harry rides a Ducati? See-at least he knows who his boss is.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
/QUOTE]

Ian-by that logic you are an Italian subject, as Great Britain was once part of The Roman Empire. In deference to her rightful superiors, I think the Queen should therefore have to ride in a Fiat. Did I read that Harry rides a Ducati? See-at least he knows who his boss is.

Touché.

I've always had my share of Canadians coming down to Seattle to buy toilets and take them back.

That's a long way to drive when you discover that you'd rather have the Cadet 3 than the inferior Toto.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Touché.

That's a long way to drive when you discover that you'd rather have the Cadet 3 than the inferior Toto.

Maybe that will give Terry second thoughts about giving you your own gun.

I recently bought a gallon of 2 percent milk in semi-remote ontario and paid $5.25 CDN for it, which exchanges to about $5.75 USD. Gas was only $1.17 per litre CDN, which exchanges to $4.90 USD per gallon

Get a good cooler or buy shelf milk like in europe. Milk here goes $2.79 to $3.59 per gallon. Designing a motor to run on it just now.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Get a good cooler or buy shelf milk like in europe. Milk here goes $2.79 to $3.59 per gallon. Designing a motor to run on it just now.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking about putting a saddle on a holstein, thereby avoiding both expensive gas and expensive milk.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Y'all be driving European turbo diesels soon which will shut you up for a few years.

And "y'all" is not a word.

And non-citizens are not allowed to own guns in the US Ballvalve.

Fear of an English renaissance runs deep here. And rightly so.

We be taking back our land some day.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You got elected because you promissed to run every single illegal out of Dodge so to speak

Not true. Politicians are elected because they promise NOT to get rid of the illegals, as long as they vote, (and vote often, since we have many here who are registered under several names), for the right candidates. And as long as they do not get on the wrong side of the minorities and those living off entitlements, they will keep getting elected.

The Hawaiians would also like to "take back their land". You can't please everybody.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was a hypohetical but the whole point is that nothing is ever really going to be done about the problem because doing so is fiscally and logistically impossible and has been for 40 years now. It's like the war on drugs. Again, lots of rhetoric but in reality so much of our econonmy is tied to drugs that actually making any progress there would be a financial disaster also. It's all about the money and always will be.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Politicians are elected because they promise NOT to get rid of the illegals, as long as they vote, (and vote often, since we have many here who are registered under several names),

I'd like to know where all these illegal alien voters are coming from?

I'm here legally and I cannot even vote for a Town Councillor in a local election!

Show me the way and I'll make America English again...through the ballot box!

Ballvalve

Reaction score
And non-citizens are not allowed to own guns in the US Ballvalve.

Fear of an English renaissance runs deep here. And rightly so.

We be taking back our land some day

And when you get it back, NOBODY will be allowed to have a gun. We'll have to go to Mexico to shoot like your olympic team goes to Switzerland.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I think the Queen should therefore have to ride in a Fiat. Did I read that Harry rides a Ducati? See-at least he knows who his boss is.

The Queen and all her pasty faced kin should ride in a pumpkin pulled by donkeys, so everyone knows when the "Royalty" arrive. Whatever the hell Royalty are.

Oh, wait I remember: Royalty are why we kicked the idiotic despot English out of our new lands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks