No water from well

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy88

Reaction score
Looking for answers I live in Idaho have a well that feeds two different directions one to the house and the other to location for irrigation. The one for irrigation has no water the house is fine. The problem started when I turned the water on at the stop and waste valve after the winter thaw worked fine last year. Could there be a check valve in the line at the well head that is stuck close? Thanks for help

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could it be potions of irrigation never drained out and busted during the freeze? busted pipe underground sounds like the issue based on info supplied

Andy88

Reaction score
Let me clear things up the stop and waste valve is 90' from the well 5' deep with no pressure tank at that location just a irrigation control box like you would use on your lawn and a hose bib. I'm thinking the 90' 11/4" line stays pressurize until I open the hose bib and well pump starts pumping could there be a check valve at the well on that 90' line. I'm only guessing. Thanks, Andy

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont understand ? normaly yes the line would have pressure but if no water comes out there is a high chance no pressure is at the stop and waste valve . I dont know if we are assuming the line has pressure or what also could be second valve at the tee connnection 90 ft away . My experiance with check valves I have had them stick open and not fully close but havent had them stick closed though it can happen. we have no reason to belive one (check valve) exists on this branch do we ? other than guessing its possible for a check valve to stick

Andy88

Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff the line is open and water is flowing. Yesterday I connected a hose from a hose bib on the house to the stop & waste valve hoping that the back pressure do something, filled the line and closed the valve. This morning I went out to check and water was coming out of the weep hole and well pump was running. Its a mystery to me happen. Thank you for all your input Jeff

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
try blasting water or air from downstream of the stop and waste with valve open well pump turned off and water at the house open like all the faucets or a hose bib on the house and it should blow freely

Andy88

Reaction score
The stop & waste valve is 90' from the well and goes into a shed with manifold which feeds the irrigation valves. I did push air back toward the well than I pushed water toward the well closed the stop & waste valve and let sit over night the morning open the valve and had water back to normal maybe the water free up the check valve who knows maybe still frozen anyway I'm up and running thanks for help, Andy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks