No clue what I'm doing other than trying to save $$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Cuznbass

Reaction score
I have a softener that is on it's last lap and may not finish. I have been quoted some outrageous prices on new systems that I just can't possibly afford. As I understand it, I have an Autotrol Series 155 Control with a 460MP timer. I don't know anything about tank size or if it matters in this instance. I've manually regenerated it twice and still no softened water. Plus it leaks. I know that it needs replaced or rebuilt. I guess my big question is can I just put a different control on the system as a direct replacement? If I can, what should I get? I found a couple of used ones online and one appears to be the exact same thing and the other is what appears to be an updated model. Can I just install one of these, make sure the settings are the same and get a little more time out of my system? Or if I were to purchase a new one, what would you recommend? Like I said, I'm trying to do this is as cheap as I can for the time being. I thought about buying a rebuild kit but that seems like too much work for someone who has never done it before. Thanks to anyone in advance.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If its been in there for over ten years or so the media is probably on its last legs also. The Autotrol head can be rebuilt, your call but if its really on its last leges theres no point in salvaging any of it.

SHR

Reaction score
Replace it! You can do it yourself. Is there a Home Depot, Lowes or Sears near you? Purchase a GE, Whirlpool or Kenmore water softener and two Sharkbite push to connect water softener supply lines. I would do the install a little different but this way you can do it yourself and save all the installation cost. In the future if you want to you can have a plumber replace the Sharkbite lines. All three brands are made by the same American company and are good made in the USA units.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would heartily disagree with the GE units. Home Depot has a bad habit of selling systems that are made by the lowest bidder. Ask anyone on this site who services equipment, very few if any would touch a Sears, whirpool, kenmore, GE, or similar system. They are not a quality unit. I have been in the water softening industry for 27+ years, I would not recommend those units. They are truly not worth the money. I would equate them to barely even a Yugo status.

Think of your hobby, I mountain bike. Those units are the Huffy's of the industry. I am sure you can make your own comparison. Lowest bidder wins!

SHR

Reaction score
I will put in Ecowater manufactured GE, Kenmore and Whirlpool water softeners all day long, I have even put them in for my family members. I have sold and installed over 400 of these water softeners without a problem. I consider the GE to be a great softener for the price. I am a staunch Ecowater fan. Made in Woodbury, MN, USA!

Dittohead, I respect your experience and knowledge in the water softener field. I am not naive enough to think there are not better, more serviceable softeners out there, but I stand behind the Ecowater softeners being a great value.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Years ago I was the service mgr for an EcoWater dealership. We had quite a few problems with their softeners and RO's. I would call and complain about the same issues and was told that it was only happening to us. I contacted other dealerships only to find out they were being told the same thing. In 1995 or 1996 IIRC 11 dealer filed a class action law sue against EcoWater for deceptive trade pratices and won. For me, a company that does not stand behind it's product is not one I will talk good about.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Simply put, as a service technician who has worked on everything from Bruner, Brasswell, Kinetico, Solo, Culligan, Fleck Clack, etc. I will simply say that I am not a fan, and when I was running the largest water systems service company in Southern California, we would not even consider servicing those units. They were disposable.

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Why not just rebuild the Autotrol? Unless it's absolutely trashed, everything should be repairable.
The only way I'd recommend the EcoWater units is if you 1) get one dirt cheap, and 2) are willing to learn about them and maintain them yourself. All info is on the web, and parts are easy to come by. Other than that, paying for more frequent service calls for these will probably outweigh the lower price point over the Flecks, Clacks, Autotrols, etc.

firelikeiya

Reaction score
Replace it! You can do it yourself. Is there a Home Depot, Lowes or Sears near you? Purchase a GE, Whirlpool or Kenmore water softener and two Sharkbite push to connect water softener supply lines. I would do the install a little different but this way you can do it yourself and save all the installation cost. In the future if you want to you can have a plumber replace the Sharkbite lines. All three brands are made by the same American company and are good made in the USA units.

I only have experience with Kenmore water softeners but all the negatives you hear online, well, I have had with my system. The corroded electronics, the failed ABS head, the cracked lines. The system runs great for about 6 years and then you start having issues. Parts for the head are cheap but a new board is over $100! and the board will go out because of the all-in-one design. The price of the board alone makes up for the difference between it and a Fleck. Now, I don't know what issues a Fleck will have so it may be a wash but I agree with others that the GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore units are definitely lower end.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Dealing with big box stores for decades.... their push is the lowest price... not the best quality. They will often take a good quality piece of equipment (ie: Louisville Ladders) and run it over to China to the lowest bidder and whichever company can make it look the same, brand it with their name and lower the price marginally. This only serves to greatly increase their profit margin while putting lousy and often times dangerous products on the market. I used to distribute a plumbing components line to one of the big box stores, they ran it to China to an absolute garbage manufacturer and they have had nothing but leaks and problems ever since, it made me smile because I hated dealing with them anyways.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks