Newbie shower pipe questions

Users who are viewing this thread

eoren1

Reaction score
Hi,
Just found this site and was hoping to get some advice. I have moved into an apt and am unhappy with the shower set-up. The pipe comes out at about waist level and there is a flexible arm that extends up. I was hoping that I could use my "wonder shower" head instead. Also, on moving from the faucet to the shower setting, on occasion a stream of water will come out of the pipe where it exits the wall. I think I see a hole there but am not sure if I can simply get a new nipple to fix this.
47946530.jpg

Is there a hole in the pipe here?
47946534.jpg

What would be the best option to extend the shower head:
10_inch_Locking_Extension_Arm.JPG

S_Riser_Pipe_versus_standard_pipe.jpg

And should I buy a new nipple while I'm at it?
One more thing, will this setup do anything to help my water pressure?
Thanks a lot,
E

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Shower faucet

Before you do anything, you should talk to your landlord..He may want to get it repaire himself.

If you do the repair, Replace the 1/2" nipple at the wallfirst. Be very careful because there isn't much to grab onto. You could find a rod or hole punch and slide it into the nipple before putting a wrench on the nipple.
As for lack of pressure, take off the shower hose assembly and check for a restriction. Then you will know if the restriction is in that area. When your replacing the nipple at the wall and have it apart there, take a small pan and hold it over the nipple and open and close the shower faucet. There could be garbage in that area.........
The shower hose is just a 1/2" mip thread and your head will probably work...........

Finnegan

Reaction score
I would definitely check with the landlord. Old pipes are not fun to work with. I can imagine the nipple cracking or losing threads in the process. I would be careful before assuming responsibility for this.