Question about well head cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
I recently looked at a well head design that I never saw before. The house was built about 1995 in rural Delaware. The well head looks like a piece of 6 inch PVC coming out of the ground. There is no metal cap or wiring showing, just a PVC pipe cap. There is also a stainless tag around the base of the pipe.

Has anyone seen this setup? If I wanted to remove the cap to chlorinate the well, do I just gently tap it upwards with a wood block and hammer?

Thank you in advance for any help. I am a plumbing newbie.

Reach4

Reaction score
What you are describing is like this cap? https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-PVC-S-D-Cap-6-in-6P06/100126604

What does the metal tag say?

Could you contact the former owner or the place indicated by the cap?

So is your water from a well doing mostly fine but there is a little odor?

Your idea of tapping up using wood sounds good to me, but are you sure that is your well? Seems likely, metal tag and all.

Do you have an above-ground pump, or are you presuming there is a submersible pump down the well?

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
The cap looks like that except for a domed end. The homeowner got a number off the metal tag and was able to find the well data online. According to the website, the well is only 55 feet deep with a static water level of 8 feet. There is no jet pump in the basement so I assume a submersible pump. I will pull the cap and check it. Thanks for your reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks