New Waste Disposer Install.

Users who are viewing this thread

prybar

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and have searched the forums intently, but haven't been able to find the answer.

I'm hoping to install a new Kindred Disposer in my kitchen. My issue is as follows.

It's a sink and a half setup, with the half on the right. The dishwasher is to the right of that. The plumbing runs from the very left side, and I want the disposer on the left sink, since the right is primarily for rinsed dishes, etc (Crockery basket my wife NEEDED)

I've read enough to have a good idea, but would like to know for sure if I can run the P trap from the disposer to the wall...

I can snap pics if my explanation is muddled.

Thanks!

Damien

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a picture, it's hard to tell what may work. Keep in mind, water doesn't flow uphill, and a disposer will lower the outlet, so the only way you may be able to get it to work is to tear a bit of the wall apart to lower the wye. Won't know without seeing it and measuring.

prybar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Upon further inspection on my part, I realized that I was making an incorrect assumption (That I could have water flow in and out of the disposer).

I have measured, and the height to the disposer output centre is about 15.5". The wall plumbing is about 8.5" to the centre.

So my thinking is, connect the disposer to the left sink, run it over to the right, where the trap will be, then run it back to the left. A bit convoluted for sure, but my only option. I'll get pics posted shortly, hopefully someone can confirm or talk me out of it.

Thanks!

Damien

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a 'lot' convoluted. You are backwards from most people, because the disposer usually goes in the "half sink" since that is where the dishes are rinsed off, usually.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just think I'll saw the barrel off my Winchester and go bounty hunting. Humans, I swear.

Hey HJ. You take the antlers off your Hudson yet?

Last edited:

prybar

Reaction score
Whoa. Just asking advice. Not sure if the fact that I have a different preference from most relating to my sink usage qualifies me for murder, but to each their own I suppose.

Regardless, the install went flawless, thanks to some helpful info from these forums. Thanks for running a great site!

Damien

prybar

Reaction score
Same way I install kitchens. The customer is right, even when they're (in my opinion) wrong. I'll try the sawed off shotgun reference and let you know how it goes!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I DO install it the way the customer wants it, but I do NOT install the drain with a 180 degree U-turn. Do you mean you actually installed it the way your picture showed it?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like I've got some explaining to do. Anybody remember the tv westerns back in the late fifties and the sixties?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like I've got some explaining to do. Anybody remember the tv westerns back in the late fifties and the sixties?

Quite a bit. And I've been watching Turner Classic Movies lately.

Normally I install the disposer on the small bowl, but not without asking to make sure that's where "they" want it. I've seen it go both ways.
Connecting to the wall should use the less changes of direction you can get by with.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sink was already set up; bowl here, disposer goes here. Half the time, the customer wants to swap it around, and that's fine. It reminds me of the golden days of TV westerns where the standard Colt six-shooter wasn't good enough anymore for the good guy to win out over the bad guys. Just had to make a change; be different. Josh Randall had his mare's leg Winchester, Johnny Yuma had his sawed-off shotgun, The Rifleman had his special lever gun, Wyatt Earp had a Buntline Special Colt revolver, Bat Masterson had a derringer and a cane sword. It goes on and on. I recognize it, I suppose, because I'm sort of that way too.
Now if you want to watch something funny, watch Southwest Passage. Every western cliché in the book, with camels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks