new tub and shower faucet rough-in

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ditchdoc, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ditchdoc

ditchdoc New Member

Installing new tub-tile-shower-faucets and am wondering if there is any built in leeway. What i mean is that the installation directions show "finished wall" Does this mean with tile, or can I rough-in to the backerboard? I'm just wondering if I need to figure in the thickness of my tile or is there usually some fudge-factor built in to the design? Sorry if this is a dumb question. My faucet set is an American Standard single-handle design. Any hints would be appreciated.

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    There is a fudge factor built in but it must be installed within that factor.
    See the instructions for your valve the dimension will be listed.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The rough-in valve MUST be installed so that the FINISHED wall will be within the min/max marks - that means the tile installation. I prefer it to be recessed most of the way. SOme people don't like it sticking so far out if at that end of the range. Too far in, and you won't be able to attach the trim. Too far out and the trim won't snug up to the finished wall.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    trim

The leeway is the maximum/minimum lines on the plaster ground. If the finished tile is not between those lines you run the risk of sticking out too far and being out of luck, or needing an extension and hoping the manufacturer makes one.

6. ditchdoc

ditchdoc New Member

Thank you, gentlemen