New toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
So I'm doing a complete remodel of bathroom - was trying to come off back wall 12 1/2" to centerline of toilet - wound up more like 13 1/2" - should I cut it and fix it or is there some sort of tolerance - thanks for any help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you have 12" from finished wall to center of drain, which leaves 1/2" behind the tank to 1" behind the tank.
So at 13.5", you have between 2" and 2.5" behind the tank. It all works, your call.

Normal is 12" from back finished wall, though sometimes we figure on 12.5" in case someone adds tile or Wainscoting behind.
Side measurements at 15" from center to the next item. So 30" in the clear minimum. You need room for the shoulders.

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
Normally you have 12" from finished wall to center of drain, which leaves 1/2" behind the tank to 1" behind the tank.
So at 13.5", you have between 2" and 2.5" behind the tank. It all works, your call.

Normal is 12" from back finished wall, though sometimes we figure on 12.5" in case someone adds tile or Wainscoting behind.
Side measurements at 15" from center to the next item. So 30" in the clear minimum. You need room for the shoulders.

so since this is a new wall - no sheetrock cut it and put a coupling on it - side and front have plenty of room - we are expanding the bathroom for that purpose - just my plumbing trig is not the greatest :D

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
so since this is a new wall - no sheetrock cut it and put a coupling on it - side and front have plenty of room - we are expanding the bathroom for that purpose - just my plumbing trig is not the greatest :D

I do have a second question if you don't mind and here is a picture of said problem

Attachments

• 20180110_224428.jpg
    20180110_224428.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 123

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
What is the layout of the bathroom?

here is a picture - connecting to an existing 4" cast iron pipe with a no hub - transition to 3" pvc - the pipe on right is the sink in bathroom - the second is for washing machine in mud room - this is a 2x8 wall - next is the toilet from previous picture - the pipe continues down a few more feet for shower in bathroom and laundry sink in mud room - i can send you another picture of the initial connection if you would like.

Attachments

• 20180110_181217.jpg
    20180110_181217.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 130

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet could be wet vented by a tub or shower, but then the laundry trap can't be part of the wet vent. Right now you have the toilet on it's own vent which works.

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
The toilet could be wet vented by a tub or shower, but then the laundry trap can't be part of the wet vent. Right now you have the toilet on it's own vent which works.

My second problem is the 90 degree long sweep which you see in the picture turns up at right under the floor - I mean about 1/2" - I need to figure out if there is a flange that will attach to this situation

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use a medium 90 there. They make flanges that drop right into a hub end or a spigot end.
Or come off the main line with a wye to the toilet and up, and a 3x2 wye on the horizontal for the lav which becomes the vent for the toilet.

3" wye, to a 3x2 wye, then a 90 up to the flange.
From the 3x2 wye, run 2 up to the wall for the lav. The lav can have a trap arm up to 42" long.

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score

just to clarify the first question - would you cut the pipe and make it 12 1/2" on center or leave it at 13 1/2"

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
here is a better view of the layout

Attachments

• 20180110_233809.jpg
    20180110_233809.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180110_233806_001.jpg
    20180110_233806_001.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20180110_233747.jpg
    20180110_233747.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 140

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I guessed wrong on the layout. Is that the washer near the toilet. That should be run in 2".
Regardless, you can either plumb the toilet back to the wall into a santee, or have it wye into the line and use the lav to vent it. It depends on how many changes of direction you want from the toilet.

Wayne Jordan

Reaction score
Yes the washer is near the toilet and is 2" but it runs off the first wye and the other side of the first wye - both the sink and washer will be vented to the toilet - which comes up in the wall 2" - all of the vertical pipes are 2"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks