New submersible deep well installation

Users who are viewing this thread

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
My cabin neighbor is a well driller / installer and owns or is the co-owner of the well company.
He is a really great guy and I have known him for many years, although I have never done any
well business with him before. His company has installed at least three wells here within our
cabin community and they all perform well so I do trust his workmanship and ethics.

Several people including myself have asked him about installing wells for us recently and he
has provided quotations for us in writing. Each quote is unique depending upon the owner's
equipment requests, lay of the land and what-not. He will drill the wells as deep as needed for
the price quoted up to 100 feet. None of the original wells he has drilled have gone over that
depth and I know that mine will not.

His estimate for my installation comes to $4150. This includes everything from the electrical
service to the pump, drilling and flushing/pumping and testing the well and running the water
line into the cabin. The pump, controller, piping and all wiring is included. Labor and taxes are
also included as well as registering the well and technical support afterwards.

Does this price sound respectable?

Although he and I spoke about the pump and controller I wanted, he did not specify the exact
make, model or type in my estimate. Wouldn't it be customary for him to outline these details?
He may be providing a very generic and simplistic estimate for the others who may not be
knowledgeable or care about these details, but I do desire to know.

Does anyone think that I would be unreasonable if I were to request a more detailed "quote"
rather than a simple estimate for this installation? I don't wish to seem like a "butt-head" to
my friend when he is trying to do everything to provide a really fair deal, as best that he can.

Obviously, this is not like a neighbor coming over and helping to install a new window or erect
a back yard "Tuff-Shed". There is a lot of manpower and equipment that needs to be paid for.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The price sounds very reasonable. But I would still like to know if that is a 1/2HP 5 GPM pump or a 2HP, 25 GPM pump, and what kind and size of tank and controls he will be using. He should not have any problem providing this information.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I am supplying the pressure tank since I already have it. 40 gallon H2O WORKS brand that I got from
a local hardware store years ago.

I'll have to discuss the specifics of the pump and controller when I see him this weekend. But, if everyone
thinks this estimate is at least reasonable, then I will feel better about jumping into this venture.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The reason why he didn't give you any details is because 98% of the people receiving the details wouldn't know any better.

Boy is that ever true! But unfortunately 95% of pump installers don't really know what they are doing either. I have talked to several this weak who shouldn't be allowed to use a pipe wrench, much less design and install a pump system. So I still think the homeowners are smart to educate themselves as much as possible to keep from having the wool pulled over their eyes.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I was very confused by his quote. The $4150 cost was not inclusive of the actual well bore installation.
I need to add $1,600 to $1,975, depending upon how many wells he drills at this location (1, 2 or 3).
The more people he gets signed up, the greater discount he can give us.

He separated the cost per each well out of the total and was trying to indicate the difference, but all that
did was confuse the matter. So, the real total for just one well for me would be $6,125.

That is probably still not too bad of a price.

Gordy

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
1,2 or 3 wells? What is this, the Costco equation? If you move a rig 1/2 mile, you might as well move it 5 miles. If you are confused by the quote then the driller must be confused in general also. The last 100' hole I had drilled and cased 30' cost me $1600. Now you have the problem of getting other quotes with the neighbor right there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks