New Sinks won't line up with P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

mike9186

Reaction score
I just installed new vanity countertops with Kohler sinks and the new location of the downpipe does not line up with the p-trap assembly. The offset is about 1/2" so it is not major but just enough that the extension will not line up vertically into the p-trap.

Is there an adapter that I should use? I can't seem to find it.

My problem looks similar to this photo I found online

Attachments

• Drain trap.gif
    Drain trap.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,019

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whenever we install new lavs or sinks, we throw away the old p-trap and use a new swivel p-trap.
You can adjust the horizontal piping, and swivel the trap.
It's one in a million that the new sink will ever line up with the old.

mike9186

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I am using a new P-trap assembly and even with extending the horizontal pipe and twisting the p-trap I cannot get underneath the downpipe. The picture I borrowed might be a little deceiving. Assume all the connections are moveable and I moved them all.

I'd love to find another p-trap that is 1-2 inches wider to be able to get it under the downpipe but I don't think they make them...at least I cannot find them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need a fitting at the wall to re-angle the trap.
We also may have to cut a new trap to size. The part going toward the wall is often times too long.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I generally add to the stub out with some ABS piping and then hook the new P-Trap to that. Thread on an ABS adapter use a 45 degree bend, and then a short section of ABS pipe with a threaded fitting on the end.

If the threads on the stub out are damaged I use a no-hub connector to join the stub out to the wall.
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks