New project questions - Water testing and restricted slopes

Users who are viewing this thread

jwater7

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been learning a lot from this site, but this is the first time I'm posting. I have a couple questions related to a job in my home that I'm going to do. I have not done any work on it yet, but I'm trying to plan this all out so I can do quality work and do it quickly. I'm going to be redoing all the DWV for 1 Lav, 1 Bathtub, 1 Kitchen Sink (excluding existing in-wall galv drain/vent), and 1 WC (replacing all cast-iron up to foundation with ABS). The plan is to remove the lead-oakum from the bell of a CI pipe that runs into the concrete foundation in the crawlspace, then attach ABS from there using a donut.

1. For the rough inspection, I understand that I'm supposed to fill up the plumbing I do with water to the roof. For this, I'm planning on inserting those screw-type test caps on the sinks, toilet flange and tub trap arm. However, I'm a little worried how I prepare the ABS to CI interface. Do I cut the ABS and put a test cap on the ABS pipe that will go into the CI bell? Then how do I reattach it after the test?

2. I have about 10" that I can use to slope the pipe for all of this (including fittings). The current CI work is back-graded so it's pooling at the cleanout so I'm trying to partially redesign the existing work so that I can correct the grade. I know that horizontal pipe is supposed to run at .25"/ft but can it slope more if necessary - without going vertical so I don't have to use big fittings - for a short run so that I can match it up with the CI bell? For example, a couple 45 Deg elbows on the "horizontal".

Thanks!

jwater7

Reaction score
I may have found something that could answer my first question. I found an inflatable plug that I could stick into the pipe provided I have a wye installed. I attached a picture of it to this post. It wouldn't test the ABS to CI interface but it could do the rest without the need to detach just for the test. I still haven't found anything on Q2. Thanks
p_SCP_034_07.jpg

Last edited:

jwater7

Reaction score
Here is a good example, is this considered horizontal or vertical? If horizontal, can it have more than .25"/ft slope? If vertical, what makes it vertical and how long of a run can this be at 45 Deg? (UPC 2009)
Thanks

vert-horiz.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires a MINIMUM of 1/4"/foot, it does not have a maximum. There are other restrictions, such as the maximum number of degrees change in direction before a cleanout is required, and others, as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like using a test tee and one of these

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

If you are using a wye, then the test ball should be longer. The long ones are a bit tricky when they deflate though. For one thing, there isn't anything to prevent them from slipping down the drain farther, and you can get pretty wet if you're not careful.

cherne_long_test_ball.jpg

Last edited:

jwater7

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, that clean-seal looks perfect and I'll see if I can find one.

jadnashua,
I was a little concerned over the slope because I've seen conflicting advice in other forums, such as "Water can run away from solids leaving them stranded" and "If you need to exceed 1/2" per foot slope, then...use a 45 degree slope" (I guess referring to unrelated 2006 IRC). So it sounds like I don't need to worry about it then, thank you for the clarifications.

Side: I just found a similar thread here about slope: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?26572-Question-about-the-slope-of-a-3-quot-line

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks