New House old well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dubay, Oct 21, 2005.

1. dubay

dubay New Member

House is in northern maine, on an Artisian well, Am using a jet style goulds pump, pump is loosing it prime, and when the pump is running, I get only about 27 PSI, pump was in the basement of old house. basement was filled in and concrete slab poured for new house, lines were spliced and buried. I think I already know the answer to this question but am just making sure im right. either im leaking air somewhere in the line or the jet is clogged.

B Dubay
  2. Pumpman

Pumpman Pump Sales

Or, the footvalve is bad. I'm assuming, since you said this was an artesian well, that it is under pressure, so it shouldn't be a water level problem.
    Ron
  3. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

Artesian well or flowing well?

Could the new elevation of the pump mean that it is no longer getting pressure from the aquifer or is this a flowing well that water has shutin pressure at surface? Perhaps if this is an artesian and the static level was below natual grade there was never a footvalve installed becuase it always had formation pressure.
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

With only 27 psi, I would say the jet is plugged. If you had to do some plumbing with the system you may have knocked enough scale loose to plug it.

Flowing well or not, a plugged jet is going to cut your pressure about in half.

The footvalve would be necessary to hold the system pressure once the pump shuts off.

bob...
  5. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

Good point on the check valve. thanks.