New gas WH crawl space

Users who are viewing this thread

turq

Reaction score
I currently have electric everything in my house. I am looking to replace both my stove and water heater with natural gas. The gas company will run the pipes to my house for free, IF I hook up two new appliances. It will cost $1600 dollars if I hook up just one new appliance. The stove hook up is easy. The water heater, not so much.

My current 14 yr old, 32" high, GE 47 gal WH is in my crawl space.( I notice a quite a bit of rust around the bottom edge band.) The floor to joist height is 36" at the current location. My crawl space door is 29" high by 35" wide.

My house is on a slope. I do have 48" of clearance at the lowest most corner of my house, which is approximately 30' to the current WH and only about 8' from the crawl space door.

After some Google searching I have come to realize that they do not make lowboy gas water heaters that will fit under my 36" joist height.

So my questions are, would it be feasible and cost effective to move the new gas WH about 30 ft straight line to the new location? Any recommendations for a minimum 40 gal WH that would fit under approximate 48"? Is it practical to dig out the floor an inch or two to help with clearance? What about venting? It would literally be in the corner, right up against the blocks on the downward slope of my house? Can the vent run ( power vent? ) elbowed out the top, between my joists and out the rim joist? I do have some vent windows that are right there as well.

Thank you for your help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you will probably have to install a power vented gas
hot water heater and vent it out the side wall of the crawl space

Rheem makes a low boy 40 and 50 power vent......

If your crawl space stays dry all the time and you dont mind some digging I would
suggest you simply carve out an area a few feet deeper to make one fit.... By digging out
an area a few feet deeper you can put the heater exactly where
you wish to have it....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks