New deep kitchen sink - disposal too low for drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

chicagoResident

Reaction score
I want to replace my kitchen sink with one with deeper bowls. The new lower bowls will result in the disposal discharge tube being near or at the level of the sewer waste pipe. In the image, diagram A is the current layout, which is in code. But in diagrams B and C, the level of the discharge tube is lower. Are either B or C within code? The difference is small but under my sink a fraction of an inch may matter. Please refer to the diagram. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• sink-plumbing.jpg
    sink-plumbing.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4,308

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water doesn't flow uphill unless pumped. While a disposer acts like a pump, you don't use it all of the time, and therefore, the trap arm can't be above the outlet of the disposer.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was that a "no" or a "yes" or a "dunno"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Edited on 11/8/2015
Those all look good. I don't know what I was looking at the first time.

My current rough for kitchens is now 16" from the floor.
Older kitchens were roughed at 19" or higher.
The disposer must drain by gravity. I see way too many 50,000 kitchen remodels where the plumbers was not consulted before the cabinets went in.
If the drain is high, the water never drains from the disposer. That smelly water rusting the unit out is not my idea of a quality job.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks