New 10" deep sink - now waste drain too high! options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dianelouise

Reaction score
I'm trying to see if I can avoid opening up the wall to lower the drain - dear hubby is traveling for 3 weeks and I want to avoid calling a plumber if I can help it. Our budget is already blown to bits!

I have a new 10" deep undermount sink - not installed yet. Cabinets not installed yet. Waste drain is 8" below the bottom of the new sink. Garbage disposals suggest drain be 10" below new sink. Most disposal outlets are about 6-7" below the top - and then there is a 4" tube that goes down (black in attachment) - to which a P-trap is attached and run into the drain in the wall (white in attachment). Is there some sort of a P-trap that would not require the 4" downturning tube?

Thanks for your suggestions... just trying to save my hubby from having to open up the wall!

Attachments

• disposal diagram&#46.jpg
    disposal diagram&#46.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 31,838

Dianelouise

Reaction score
I found a diagram from another thread - I think I will be ok! As long as the wall drain is below the disposal outlet (ours will be about 1" lower) I can make the plumbing work. In this diagram, the disposal outlet goes straight to a P-trap and then into the wall - I think that is what I will do too! Do you agree?

Attachments

• sink_dw..jpg
    sink_dw..jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 46,595

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Save yourself grief, and cut the wall now.
If the pipe goes down, you can lower the tee.
If the pipe goes sideways, you will need to get a 1/2 hp drill and relocate the drain about 3" lower.
If you don't, you will always have standing water in the disposer.

You're not the only one this happens too. At least you caught it in time.

Normally on a 10" sink, the waste needs to be 16" from the floor.
I don't know why professional kitchen remodel contractors fail to know this.
It's much easier to fix this before the new cabinets are installed.

Dianelouise

Reaction score
I looked at the wall (drywall is still on) - and it looks like the drain runs sort of horizontal to a Johnson T about 3 studs away. We would have to move that entire section of drain down and replumb the Johnson T. Also, there is electrical running below that drain that would probably have to be moved as well. If the disposal outlet is 1" higher than the wall drain outlet, won't we be ok? If not, a new sink that is only 9" deep would be cheaper!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's about getting the p-trap to connect up, those determine some of it.
For a plumber to move the plumbing, then yes, it would save you to get a shallower sink. I'm not sure that 9" is going to work either though.
I would feel better about 8"

Dianelouise

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the input. I guess I'll start shopping for a sink. I'm thankful to have discovered this now rather than later.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
This very thing happened to my inlaws. The sink and countertop installers (from a big box store)put in a trap with a flexible accordion outlet. With the new deeper sinks it was 2" too high and the end outlet pipe and disposer had water in them all the time. I took pix w/ my phone and raised Holy Sam at the store. They gave me the parts to fix it myself. And of course, the drain went sideways! Good job catching it before hand Dianelouise!

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
or you could always throw out the disposal

I think most people, I'm sure people in my house would too, use them incorrectly and they cause more maintainence issue down the road than they are worth.
Chuck the disposal reand keep the sink. All the problems solve.

I hope this doesn't come across as too mean... Had the others not given viable solutions I wouldn't have just replied with a bash response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks