Need help with sink not draining AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Lew Ashmore

Reaction score
  • Been living at this house for over 5 years and sometime in the last couple of years the kitchen sink has been very very slow to drain. The left side of the sink (primary side in picture) drains really slow. The right side not so bad.
    Each side has a P trap and they join as shown in pic. The AAV is a bit higher than the sink bowl. I've replaced the AAV with no help. Removing the AAV gets things draining, but too much water in the sink backs up and out the vent pipe that the AAV was previously installed in. If I put a good load of water in the right side, the left side will gurgle with air bubbles and that helps it drain.

• Any input is appreciated....
ashmore-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lew Ashmore

Reaction score
You need to snake the kitchen sink drain. When that is cleared, the sink basins will both drain.
Thank you for the advise.
I did snake the pipe - there does appear to be some obstruction (gunk) around 15 feet from the sink.
My question is... why does it drain if I remove the AAV? and why is the left sink so much worse than the right in the double bowl?
.... I have to keep working on the obstruction as it still isn't draining... Thx!

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is... why does it drain if I remove the AAV?
I imagine that the drainage trying to enter the pipe is compressing air somehow. Opening the AAV lets pressure out. However don't worry about that. I am not a plumber.

Can you access or add a cleanout in the crawlspace or basement? That would let you use a bigger snake or a maybe a Brasscraft drain bladder.

and why is the left sink so much worse than the right in the double bowl?
Take the left trap apart and remove blockage if present.

How did you snake-- through the trap adapter in your photo? How big around is the snake? It seems to me that the plumbing under your sink could have used cleanout.

Lew Ashmore

Reaction score
Reach4, post: 577008, member: 61511"]I imagine that the drainage trying to enter the pipe is compressing air somehow. Opening the AAV lets pressure out. However don't worry about that. I am not a plumber.

Can you access or add a cleanout in the crawlspace or basement? That would let you use a bigger snake or a maybe a Brasscraft drain bladder.

Take the left trap apart and remove blockage if present.

Reach4 - Thanks for your responses.
Cannot get to the the plumbling unless I rip out the ceiling in my finished basement :(

How did you snake-- through the trap adapter in your photo? How big around is the snake? It seems to me that the plumbing under your sink could have used cleanout.

I removed the P-trap and sent the snake down the drain pipe. My guess it went 12-15 feet before it reached the clog.
The snake is 1/4" x 25ft. I haven't tried it with a drill driving it, just by hand. I plan to give it another try ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks