Need help with shower drain removal

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cheapskate001, May 7, 2005.

1. cheapskate001

cheapskate001 New Member

Hello, I'm "attempting" (unsuccessfully, so far!) to remove the shower drain from upstairs master bath - a stand alone fiberglass shower - the drain leaks in between the fitting and pipe. I've already cut a piece out of the ceiling to access it from underneath. I cannot get the retaining nut loose from the bottom of the drain that secures it to the shower floor. I've tried banging with a hammer/long screwdriver against some of the nubs, a plumber's wrench (like the bathtub kind, except I don't think it's big enough, and can't get real good latch on any of the nubs with it) - any pointers from any of the experienced folks on this??? Already have new parts drain, and pvc to replace up past p-trap - new drain is an Oatey similar to what's in there now, except that it's a rubber pipe seal inside instead of the putty/oakum stuff that was in the old one.....thanks in advance!!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Somtimes you have to cut from above with a saw blade, (a hacksaw blade will do)

It the nut is cut, you can pry it off.
  3. cheapskate001

cheapskate001 New Member

thanks for the response, Terry - will give that a shot....