Need help with Pressure Spool

Users who are viewing this thread

JennyCostigan415

Reaction score
This forum is awesome! I'm a longtime reader, new to posting.

So the cold water will not work in the shower... I realize that I need to either clean or replace the pressure balancing spool, but my question is... Do I have to tear into the wall to do it???

(It appears that someone had re-tiled part of the wall where the shower knobs are, so I hope I don't have to do that to get to the spool).

Also, based on the photos... Could anyone please tell me what type of pressure spool I need? Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 187

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you have a pressure balancing spool.
You need to take it apart to determine what you have. You may need to replace the hot and cold stems and the diverter stem.

JennyCostigan415

Reaction score
I don't think you have a pressure balancing spool.
You need to take it apart to determine what you have. You may need to replace the hot and cold stems and the diverter stem.

Does that entail tearing off the tiles? Or is there a way to take off those knobs to determine the problem and fix it without changing out the tiles?

DougB

Reaction score
First - turn off the water. Open the faucet - make sure the water is off.

Take off the faucet handles - notice there is a Phillips screw holding them on. Then remove them (might have to wiggle / pry gently).

Once the handles are off you will have to loosen the packing nut (this holds the stem in). Then you can remove the cartridge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Once the handles are off you will have to loosen the packing nut (this holds the stem in). Then you can remove the cartridge

1. You do NOT have a "pressure spool"
2. You do NOT remove the packing nut, you remove the whole stem unit
3. You have compression stems with washers, NOT a "cartridge".

pp_3v.gif

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

pp_three_handle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCostigan415

Reaction score
quote; Once the handles are off you will have to loosen the packing nut (this holds the stem in). Then you can remove the cartridge

1. You do NOT have a "pressure spool"
2. You do NOT remove the packing nut, you remove the whole stem unit
3. You have compression stems with washers, NOT a "cartridge".​

Where is the whole stem unit located? (Beneath the center knob?)

How do I remove it?

Is it possible to replace the stem unit without tearing out the tiles??

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are three stems. A hot stem, a cold stem and a diverter stem.
You remove the plastic cover in the center of each knob then unscrew the phllips head screw. Then you pull off each handle. Next unscrew the chrome escutcheon behind the handles. Then take another picture........ When you try to unscrew the hot or the cold stem you will have to shut the water off.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No, but you might have to make the openings in the tile larger. it depends on how "tight" the tilers cut the holes. You will need a deep socket because the faucet is set deep into the wall.

JennyCostigan415

Reaction score
Ok great.

So the plan is to buy the rebuild kit that includes the stems, then remove and replace all three stems, correct?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks