Need help with adding new basement sink to main stack.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cleon, Apr 10, 2014.

1. cleon

cleon New Member

Hello all - first post!

In my basement I have a 3" copper stack that extends straight out through the roof. It services only the 3pc bathroom on the main floor.

I would like to add a bar sink / dishwasher in the basement and tie into that stack. It would be approximately 5' from the stack.

My question is do I need to add vent pipe as well or is the stack sufficient? And if I need a vent, where is the appropriate place to tie it back into the stack?

Attached is a diagram...

basement.jpg
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If your drawing is correct, each fixture needs a vent. The toilet is the only fixture there that is vented.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The upstairs sink will either be vented, or not, depending on whether it has an independent pipe back to the stack. You connect the vent back to the stack 42" above the upstairs floor, or in the attic.