Need help installing new shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Chryssie24

Reaction score
So I uploaded a pic to show what the plumbing looks like in a stand in shower in my basement. I just had the water turned on the other day and the old handle was leaking so I removed it to find the plastic piece behind the handle was broken...so the pic shows what is left. I purchased a Moen handle and shower head to replace the broken one and it comes with a 4 port valve and stop tube! (I took a screenshot of the instructions with the pieces) Not sure if I have to replace the old valve that is there or find a fixture that will fit. According to the Home Depot employee I spoke with yesterday, he said to just take the front piece off and the faucet should fit....maybe I'm missing something??? I just need some advice on what to do. I have the water shut of at the main because of the leak and I need to make sure there isn't any other leaks going on. TIA

(Pardon the dust, I'm pretty much remodeling the entire basement right now)

IMG_1952.JPG
instructions.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be best to take a good picture of the part that was removed from the valve body.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Home Depot gave you plumbing advice? That is like going to a veterinarian because you have a cold. The ONLY thing that will work with that body is a piece EXACTLY like the one you removed. If you want the Moen valve, then you need to INSTALL the Moen valve body.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your best bet would be to pick up a new valve with trim if you can't find a part for that.
From the picture, it doesn't look like anything I know or have installed.

The Moen trim won't fit that body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks