N00b fixture question

Users who are viewing this thread

Doohickie

Reaction score
I'm updating my bathroom and have nasty looking antique brass bathtub fixtures. I've had to replace the inner workings of the valve in the master bath which looks to be the same as this one and I'm pretty sure I can get chrome replacement parts for that. It's an off-brand contractor thing, but Lowes and HD carry the replacement parts.

For the shower and bath nozzles though... I've never messed with those before. Is replacing them simply a matter of unscrewing them and replacing them with new pieces? I assuming they are pipe threads that need teflon tape. The diverter for the shower is currently in the tub nozzle. Is there anything more to replacing the tub nozzle beyond just unscrewing it and putting a new one on?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some tub spouts screw on, some use an O-ring and are pushed on. Before you try to take it off, you need to determine what you have. If it is not a screw on, then it will have a hole on the bottom to get at a set screw. Depending on how tight that was installed, it may have dented the pipe, and if the new one tries to seal around that dent, it will leak. If it is screwed on, the place where the fitting is differs between some brands. Some are fairly consistent. You'll need to take it off and then try to match it up with a replacement.

Most (but not all) showerheads unscrew. there are a few that are part of the arm, and the whole arm needs to be replaced.

Doohickie

Reaction score
Thanks. I plan on replacing the whole shower arm (all that sticks out of the wall) because the current one is antique brass and I want to change it over to chrome.

So the advice is to remove the parts and take them to Lowes and see what they have to replace them.... my usual plumbing procedure. :p

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have more choices at a good plumbing supply store, but Lowes does have a fair selection.

Doohickie

Reaction score
I picked up what I think I need at Lowes; I'll play around with it later. They have "universal" spouts that attach 18 different ways; surely one of them will work. I guessed well on all the stuff before checking, except for the vent cover plate. My tub doesn't have the stopper lever built in but I couldn't remember whether mine had one screw or two. I guess wrong.

I also guessed wrong on the sink cabinet.... it had drawers and the panel on the back interferes with the water supply and drain. So I gotta take that bad boy back to Lowes. Dang it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks