Mysterious Blue Water

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by agtess, Sep 25, 2005.

1. agtess

agtess New Member

I have lived in my house for the past 3 years and in that time have not put any type of 2000 Flush or other puck inside my toilet in that time.

Yet when I do not use the toilet for a few day the water within the bowl becomes blue.

I have looked in tank and there is nothing in there. It only happens in one loilet in the house.

Any clue what could be causing this???
  2. Isolate the toilet one evening and shut the water off to the toilet. If the problem continues then you know it is something inside the toilet that is leaching into it. I've seen many flappers leach a faint dye when aging, but few and far between.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Residue from a toilet bowl cleaner may be the cause. Another possible cause is.... Blue and green colored water and stains usually indicate copper in the water. Get a water test for copper and see how much if any is in the water. Low pH acidic water can damage copper tubing adding copper to the water. Excessive soldering flux can cause copper corrosion and not reaming the end of copper tubing can cause erosion corrosion, both add copper to the water. Too much copper in potable water is a health concern. New copper tubing will corrode adding copper to the water until and if ever it corrodes enough to protect the metal from the water. That's why a water company won't include your home in their water samples for their required EPA Lead and Copper Rule compliance for the first 5 years after the building was built.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates