My well cap is hissing at me ... I think it's hungry.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Trenchdigger, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Trenchdigger

Trenchdigger New Member

Hi!

Until today, I paid it no mind, but my well cap has been hissing for a few months now. Today, the hissing got louder, and the circuit breaker has tripped twice in two days (could be the sign of a failing pump.)

I've tried googling a good answer, but have not been successful.

I do not know anything about the well pump, so don't ask. :p It has been working fine for five years (Length of time I've owned the house.) There is a new filter, and the pressure in the tank is fine (Both inbound, and outbound.)

Does the well cap create a seal? It could be possible the seal is compromised; I hit it with the tractor a few times.

Thanks!
  2. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

The hissing may actually be water spraying in the well casing from the pitless adaptor. I live one town away from you and will PM you with a contact for my well pump guy who is very good.
  3. 99k

It may also be an electrical issue ... still best to have the well pump guy look into it.
  4. Trenchdigger

Trenchdigger New Member

I pulled the well cap off and took a look down there. It's dark. :p

After shining a light, it looks like there is a break at the pitless adapter after all. Now to find a how-to on fixing it.

Thanks!
  5. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

A job for an expert!

If it involves servicing the pitless adapter it will probably involve unseating the pump drop pipe from the pitless. This can be touchy for the inexperienced as you could lose the pump; drop pipe and wire in the well requiring a qualified expert to hopefully fish it out.

I recommend that you call the licensed pump contractor first! It could save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'd take 99k's name and call him!
  7. Trenchdigger

Trenchdigger New Member

UPDATE:

Problem fixed.

There was a broken seal on the pitless valve/adapter. Also, when the pump was pulled, it looked about ready to fail, in an epic way.

So, we replaced the pump, and 200' of plumbing, and it's all running fine.

FYI: I used the guy 99k recommended (Trenchy wonders if it was 99k himself ...) did a good job, and was in and out in a few hours.
  8. 99k

I'm glad everything worked out for you ... frank is very good (and no it wasn't me :D)