My shower head sounds like a bird is stuck in it!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Rucins, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Rucins

Rucins New Member

About a month ago, when frigid cold weather arrived in Chicago, my rain shower style shower head began to periodically chirp after the shower is turned off. It literally sounds like a bird is stuck in it. It occurs every few minuets and, as far as I know, happens all day long.
    It is a faux antique claw foot tub/shower and the head is supported and fed by three pipes. One for hot, one for cold and one for air flow. Single handle for water flow and single handle for temp.

Anyone else ever experience this and found a solution for it?

Photo attached.

Attached Files:

2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area
    Your shower fixture has a "Air Flow" line?

What's up with that? Are you sure?

Are you saying as well that it makes noise when it's not on?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. scottila

scottila New Member

Mine is doing this. It's like after your turn off the water some residual water is stuck in the rain head. It seems like it drains slow but there is some back pressure and as the water drips out it chirps. That's just my guess. No idea how to fix it. Very annoying.

5. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

Don't keep water stored between the diverter and the showerhead.

You're probably hearing the chirp now and not prior because the stored water does have an effect on diverters after age.

It is generally good practice to re-open it at the end of a shower, and let it all drain out by gravity thru the spout. This is generally over in seconds, and should not chirp after.

If it really bothers you, then the only recourse is the open up your diverter/valves to swap cartridges, washers.