My drain was plumbed to my next door neighbors sewage pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tweedy

Reaction score
I recently found out that the sewer line in my 2007 single family home, was not run to the main sewer line in the street in front of my home, but was instead run to a sewage pump in my neighbors garage. This was not disclosed to me from the builder (a licensed contractor) from which I purchased the home. Could this ever be acceptable or legal practice? The problem is that if there is a problem With the pump and my neighbors are not in town or their power is turned off or etc. etc. etc. seems like a problem.

Tweedy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I recently found out that the sewer line in my 2007 single family home, was not run to the main sewer line in the street in front of my home, but was instead run to a sewage pump in my neighbors garage. This was not disclosed to me from the builder (a licensed contractor) from which I purchased the home. Could this ever be acceptable or legal practice? The problem is that if there is a problem With the pump and my neighbors are not in town or their power is turned off or etc. etc. etc. seems like a problem.

Tweedy

Seems like a big problem.
You may want keys to that garage.

My parents have a shared storm drain pump that is a shared epense. I've been replacing those pumps for the last forty years. Most of the time when things are in danger of flooding.

Asktom

Reaction score
You might want to trade a six pack and a back-up pump fot those garage keys. That is about as close to acceptable as you will be able to get.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most codes specify "one house to one sewer line", meaning each lot/building has its own sewer connection. Doing it any other way, creates a liability issue when there is a problem, and also "access" issues when the sewer has to be worked on by the "second" person. Especially if they are not talking to each other and the first person does NOT allow "trespassing" on to his property.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks