Multiple toilet rocking repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed Howard

Reaction score
Last summer we put new floors in our hallway bathroom after a pipe leak. We dried everything out and hired a company to renovate our flooring. We also had foundation work done last December.

The toilet then started rocking we chalked it up to the foundation work. We called a plumber and he identified and fixed a pipe break below the flange and reset the toilet. However, a couple weeks later the rocking came back so we had the plumber come back and fix the toilet, but the rocking returned again.

The third time the plumber re-shimmed the toilet and used plaster of paris around the bottom in April

That was two months ago now its June. The toilet is rocking again. I tried to re-plaster it myself but it only lasted a week before rocking again.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your description seems to say that the floor under the toilet is not solid, even after the repairs.

Is this over a crawl space? Is this on a second floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, the flooring must be stable. Second, prior to installing the toilet with the wax ring, you must ensure that the toilet will sit stable without rocking on the floor. Generally, you use shims for that. Personally, I'll often use a combination of various coins rather than going out to buy shims that, depending on what you use, might compress over time. Once you've identified where the shims must be, then, and only then, can you set the toilet down on things into the wax. Use your weight to compress the wax and make the seal. THen, snug up the toilet bolts. After you've ensured it is not going to rock, caulk around the front 3/4 or so of the toilet. This does two things:
- helps to anchor it to the floor (especially important if it's on tile since porcelain on tile has almost no friction)
- helps prevent spills, misses, or dirty mop water from getting underneath the toilet where it cannot easily be cleaned up.

Leaving the back open will give you an idea if the toilet or seal is leaking.

How many shims, their thickness, and where will depend on the actual quality of the toilet and the flatness of the floor.

If you set the toilet then add shims, you will likely have a compromised seal since once compressed, and the toilet rocks, the wax won't rebond, leaving a gap. The shims must be there before you compress the wax.

Plaster of Paris can work, but can make removing the toilet problematic down the road, and, the stuff is still somewhat porous.

Ed Howard

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm not installing a wax ring there is not currently a leak. we have tried shimming several times and the toilet still rocks. Now there is a 1/2 inch gap in the front half of the toilet. We just had another plumber come out today and shim again.
I'm not sure what is underneath our laminate as far as sub flooring goes. I guess I will just see if these shims do the trick, but this is our third time around. I would guess that there is another underlying problem...

Reach4

Reaction score
Now there is a 1/2 inch gap in the front half of the toilet.
Holy chit. That's unheard of.

Here is a wild idea. The toilet flange is rising, or the floor around the flange is sinking. I know that sounds unlikely, but what better idea is there?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think its from the foundation repair last December?
Do you think its from the foundation repair last December?
I am not a plumber or other professional. But I would think yes. As I understand it, a foundation should go to undisturbed soil, and I suspect this did not. I don't know how this could be remediated... inject concrete as the sometimes do under sinking sidewalks and driveways?

Maybe describe the foundation work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks