Moving sink drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Kali2024

Reaction score
Hello, just recently came across this site and I love it..Question for the experts:
We live in a 10 year old home which has a spare bathroom with the sink drain pipe coming out of the side instead of the back like I've seen in just about every other bathroom (line in black). Is it possible to move this somehow so that it exits towards the back (line in red)?

The reason I ask is because the vanity I love and am hoping to buy is a furniture style vanity and will not sit against the wall which would expose the pipe. Am I doomed to the standard cabinet type vanities?

Bathroom.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
To answer the question you will have to get into the wall and find out why the pipe is run that way, there might be something in the way that stops the pipe from comming out the back wall.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's definitely where more information is needed to get an answer.
Bust sheetrock and see what is in the walls, and find out anything you can above and below in an attic or, basement.

Kali2024

Reaction score
Well I'll get to tearing out the walls possibly tonight and post some pics ... below is our family room- nothing in the way , wall etc. just the family room ceiling. Above is the attic, nothing in the way. Behind it, is the bedroom...I think there's and an outlet in that area...would this be enough to force the position? Thanks for the replies...

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you call an "outlet"? and just what you mean by "force the position". An electrical outlet would have no relevance to the problem other than perhaps need to be relocated, and you don't force any kind of plumbing. I'd suggest cutting the sheet rock out on both walls. Cut enough to give plenty of room to work, and don't be afraid to take too much. It is no more work to replace large pieces of drywall than small ones. I'd go at least 2 feet above the floor and beyond the old drain outlet and the proposed new one on the ends. Cut to studs. Then when replacing the rock, sister 2x4s to the studs at the ends of the patch to give you a nailing surface for the patch. It does seem to be an unusual way to plumb the drain, so it makes me wonder if perhaps there was a reason that we can't see.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
My first thought is that she is doomed, In order to move the fitting most likely going to have to cut into the floor, re-route the drain pipe from one floor joist to the next run a new vent, all the while trying to avoid damage to the electrical and supply plumbing lines.
Most likely a fairly extensive project.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The rear cabinetry wall is just a partition wall. She said there is a family room below, so it makes sense that the partition wall at the rear of the cabinet does not carry through to the basement...hence why they probably did not run a stack up through there. Most likely, the adjacent wall does run down to the basement, and that's why the rough-in plumbers decided to install the stack in that wall adjacent to the cabinet. They did not redirect the stack because there was no need to as there is a corner vanity there.

If the OP wants to install a trap arm from the rear wall, they will have to cut into the ceiling from below and either redirect the existing stack in the joist space, or they will have to install a new drainage stack. Anything otherwise will completely butcher the corner framing of that room and is totally unacceptable.

Of course, I could totally be wrong and there is something really odd going on there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks