Moving natural gas lines in my kitchen

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by sandysellers, Sep 9, 2006.

1. sandysellers

sandysellers New Member

I bought a groovy new gas cooktop, and now I need to have the gasline moved. Can it go across under the floor? I am replacing the vinyl flooring anyway, so this would be fine with me! Guess I should have figured this out be for spending the $1500?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you have a basement or crawl space under the kitchen, this should be OK. Virtually every municipality requires a permit for ANY work on gas lines. Some places allow a homeowner to pull the permit and do his own work, other places do not allow that. Check with your development services department.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gas

What kind of floor is it? If it is concrete then the answer is absolutely not.
  4. sandysellers

sandysellers New Member

The floor is above a finished basement, with wooden joists and wooden subfloor (I hope those are the right terms and spelling)
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The pipe can go there, but I strongly advise you to have a professional do the work. Not only do you want the job done correctly to avoid safety issues, but since this will be in the ceiling of a finished room, you want it to look good too.
  6. sandysellers

sandysellers New Member

So, they will go throught the ceiling in the basement and not through the floor in the kitchen? Guess I called that wrong! The area in the basement is in a large storage closet- makes the need for perfect patching a little less critical. I fully intend on having my favorite plumber, Dale, do all the gas work. He has restored my faith in the plumbing profession: Shows up on time, sticks to his estimate and leaves no mess. God Bless him! If you need a plumber in Davis County,Utah, let me know!!!
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The "picture" I have is that the kitchen is over the basement which means ceiling of the basement is the floor of the kitchen. (Joists inbetween of course) I suggest you get your friend Dale over to examine the job and then go with his recommendation.