mounting stone tops on custom vanties

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chris fox, Dec 16, 2008.

1. chris fox

chris fox New Member

I have ordered stone which is cut to CAD drawings, having never done this before what is the best way to mount the stone to vanity tops. vanities are custo mmade with corner blocks at all four corners, so there is plenty of flat surface. With plenty of flat surface to flat surface is somehtign simple as liquid nails ok for bonding?

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It somewhat depends on whether the slab is 2cm or 3cm thick. Some stones can be stained by some glues. In the ones I've done in my home, the fabricator said just use silicon...it cushions and hold it in place. Especially if it is a 3cm slab, gravity and the silicon will hold it in place fine. You DO need to ensure that the cabinet is shimmed so the top is level, as the stone will not like it if the surface is twisted and not level.

If it is a 2cm slab, it's not a bad idea to put some plywood inserted so you have some support. Mount it on ledger boards so it is flush with the top of the cabinet.
  3. chris fox

chris fox New Member

Jim,

Its a quartz material(CeasarStone) I dotn have the specs in front of me but I am pretty sure its 2cm and it has 4 cm edge. The size is 20" x 34".
    I did a little more searching since this post and silicon was recommended too. adhesive
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd probably just glue it in place, adding ply would be for those times when the kid climbs up and decides to jump around! Probably not needed. If it were natural stone, it might be a good idea at that thickness.
  5. chris fox

chris fox New Member

Jim,

I hope my kid doesnt climb on these - their floating and hung with french cleat. I plan to reinforce with #10 screws or lag bolts into studs once its shimmed level.
  6. harleysilo

harleysilo New Member

Our Quartz counter tops and kitchen table were all installed with 100% silicon.