More Copper Theft but with concequences

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
ST. CLAIR TWP. -- A 22-year-old Hamilton man was electrocuted on a utility pole early Monday while trying to steal copper wiring, police said.
The Butler County Sheriff’s office identified the man as Brandon Reed. He was attempting to remove copper wiring from the pole when he was hit by the electric current, the sheriff’s office said. His body was discovered 25 feet up a utility pole.
A representative of the Butler County Coroner’s Office pronounced Reed dead at the scene.

“He had spikes like a lineman from the utility company,†Butler County Coroner Dr Richard P. Burkhardt said this morning. “Unfortunately, that was his downfall.â€

Marks on the body seem to indicate that the charge entered his left hand and exited through the sole of his shoe, Burkhardt said.

An autopsy Monday confirmed the cause of death as accidental electrocution.

The sheriff’s office received a 911 call at approximately 2:52 a.m. from a man who said he heard a loud bang and a person scream while driving on U.S. 127, just outside the village of New Miami.

An investigation determined the caller, Josh Snyder, 24, drove Reed to the location and was to return for him once he had retrieved the copper wire, the sheriff’s office said. Snyder was charged with complicity to attempted theft and is in the Butler County jail.

Reed's death is the second in Greater Cincinnati during which the victim was apparently attempting to steal metal, police said.

David Mossman, 25, of the 2200 block of Ferguson Road, died July 12, 2006, when he touched a live wire while attempting to steal sheet metal from a large air conditioning unit at the Western Hills Sports Mall on Ferguson Road in Westwood, Cincinnati police said.

Copper thefts has increased in Greater Cincinnati along with the rise in copper prices.

The web site quotecopper.com today lists the going rate of copper at $3.59 a pound.

Among recent targets: copper piping in homes under construction in Boone County, Ky.; copper lightning rods at a Duke Energy Wayne Township site; and copper wires from cables at Butler County Rural Electric Cooperative’s Ross Township site.

Reed had been convicted of stealing copper wire last year, Hamilton police records show.

Reed was arrested in August on an accusation he stole 2,200 feet of copper wire from utility poles in the 900 block of North Third Street.

His arrest report shows he was found in possession of copper wire and a hacksaw that was used to commit that crime.

After being convicted, Reed was placed on probation for that offense, Hamilton Municipal Court records show.

That court lists 14 cases against Reed, mostly traffic violations.

The most serious allegations against Reed were felony charges of impersonating a peace officer and burglary. Those charges were transferred to the Common Pleas Court and were set for trial Sept. 5.

The charges arose from incidents in February, when Hamilton police arrested Reed on accusations that he used a deputy’s uniform to get into two separate homes in attempts to steal OxyContin, a powerful prescription painkiller.

One attempt was successful; the other failed, police reports say.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I recently took an old aluminum dock plate to a local scrap yard and was told they would have to notify the police who were looking for several that had been stolen. The folks at that particular yard are careful about what they accept from whom, but it would probably be futile to try to get all scrap dealers to help thwart theft.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I guess some things do eventually work themselves out.

Tom

R

Rancher

GrumpyPlumber said:
I have to produce an ID when I turn in copper.
This has become one incentive for using non-copper water piping.
Why... you didn't steal the copper did you? The junkie is just covering his butt, I would have no problem producing ID.

Rancher

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Months ago...

I posted something about a good business friend of mine that "was" a scrap dealer that was forced out of business because they tried to implement a tag and hold for 72 hours for all of his incoming scrap.

This would of forced him to double the square footage needed for all the product he would receive, more labor/hired hands and more equipment. That didn't bother him, he just couldn't get the city to let him expand years ago and they surely wasn't going to let it happen now.

He shut the business down within 4 hours of hearing of the new ordinance which upset the city. The business was running a 2 million dollar operation yearly, start adding up payroll and fees that the city gains from those income levels and that is pretty significant.

They would turn down people who commonly didn't walk through the door as regulars holding copper scrap in their hands.

The former owner is glad he's out, and he's also glad that the thieves didn't stop stealing and finding somewhere else to locally cash out their scrap. He knew the obvious was coming, he was just a sacrificial lamb for one little town. :mad:

He was trying to sell the business at the same time though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks