MOEN HOT/COLD SILL FAUCET (hc400512)

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
It is Moen's single handle hot/cold frost-free sill faucet.

Has anyone had any experience with these faucets?

Looking at installing one, but have not heard much about them.

Will be using the solder on version. Directions from Moen do not say anything about taking the internal components out before soldering. Any thoughts - good or bad? My first instinct is to take them out.

Also, the plumbing shop we use had one in stock. Looked at it & unsure of flow rate. Given all the internal parts it seems the flow rate would be lower than normal sill faucet. Moen says 12 gpm @ 60 psi which is what they rate their normal frost-free sill faucet.

Lastly, durability of the faucet is also important - do not want have to constant problems (especially since in Wisconsin where it it gets below freezing for several months).

Thanks,
Matt

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I install a lot of them for use at beach houses...

I'm not sure but I think many of my customers hook these up to outside beach showers. Showers that hook up with garden hoses to circumvent laws involving pressure balanced mixers and drains for outside showers...:cool:

I do not bother to disassemble them as I know I will not overheat the body...
I do not know your soldering abilities. If you are unsure then go ahead and pull the guts out.

These valves will not deliver a full hot flow of water. It will be a mix of hot and cold that is just right to rinse the sand off of you without a temperature shock that the old cold only beach showers had.

The flow seemed decent on all the units I have installed.

They are frost proof and as long as the garden hose is disconnected and they were installed pitched the valve should winter well.

web_surfer

Reaction score
Redwood,

Thanks for the info.

I have been soldering for 15+ years and have soldered ball valves without problems. Often think that if I were to change occupations I would consider plumbing - like assembling the system & soldering it together.

Do not really need "hot" hot water - mainly to wash cars on cool days, wash dog, kids, get warm water without having to drag buckets in/out house, etc. - like you said just to avoid the cold water shock.

Matt

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It should be just what you want then.
I know my beach house customers love watering their lawns with tempered water... LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks