Moen faucet defaults to strong instead of soft

Users who are viewing this thread

bdp31770

Reaction score
For years this Moen faucet has defaulted to a soft, spread out sort of spray. Recently it defaults to the tighter, stronger blast that bounces water everywhere.

I tried googling this and nothing specific comes up. I tried pressing the button on the top of the spout but that only works temporarily. Is there a way to make it default to the softer spray again?

Thank you for any feedback.

moen-faucet-loose.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The default should be a column of water. Depressing the button should divert to the wide spray pattern. Then either by pressing the button on the other end or by cycling the faucet off then on again should go back to the default column of water.

bdp31770

Reaction score
The default should be a column of water. Depressing the button should divert to the wide spray pattern. Then either by pressing the button on the other end or by cycling the faucet off then on again should go back to the default column of water.
Thank you. What it's defaulting too now is a column of water, but it's so strong it makes a mess splashing against everything. It used to default to something more normal and not messy. I"m wondering if something broke somewhere or if someone changed a setting and doesn't realize it? From your comment it sounds like there is no way to make it default back to the softer setting?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like the flow restrictor may have broken. I would call Moen directly and they would be able to determine if its something you can fix or maybe might need to send out a replacement part.

bdp31770

Reaction score
Thank you, I'm sorry for all the questions I just have one more. Recently, also, the handle has become very loose. I wonder if that could be the problem, and tightening it may help?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handle does control the rate of flow, but wouldn't cause what you're describing, if anything it would likely decrease flow if the handle weren't able to lift the cartridge to the fully on position being loose. Tightening the handle should be simple tho. Usually there is a set screw hidden behind a small cover of the handle. You'll want to cover the sink drain with a cloth before starting any of this procedure tho, so you don't loose any small parts. You'll need an Allen wrench set and find the appropriate sized wrench that fits snugly into the set screw. Then likely just a half of a rotation til its tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks