Hot water pressure nightmare!

Users who are viewing this thread

skasdan

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this issue in another forum but think it would be wiser to list it here also, since I am dealing with a tankless hot water heater. The heater is a Rinnai R75LSi. We just moved into our renovated home a year ago. We have yet to experience any peace with our plumbing. We have a deep private well (at least 300 ft deep) and a new submersible pump (installed about a month ago). Everything regarding the well has been checked out recently by well servicemen - pressure gauge, etc. However, every time we use the hot water for more than about four minutes straight (showers, laundry), it loses pressure, trickles, and stops completely. It comes on strongly and heats up reasonably quickly (most of the time - sometimes takes a minute or two) but just will not hold pressure. The cold water is completely fine BUT when (example) in the shower, when the hot water loses the pressure the cold water doesn't work, either. The shower and kitchen sink faucets are both single faucets (all the way one way hot, all the way other way cold) so when I go to turn the water off, even though it has already stopped, the cold doesn't kick on at all. If I wait a minute or two, I can turn the water on again and it starts off full blast but pretty quickly diminishes to nothing again. Sometimes the water will slow to trickle and still be warm and other times it slows to a trickle and is freezing cold. Either way, it always slows to either a drop or to nothing. EVERY TIME. We have spent so much money trying to get our water to be consistent and just can't afford to keep calling people to come check it out. I am really hoping it's something reasonably simple but we haven't pinpointed the issue yet. Not all of the piping for the house is new but all of the piping around the water pressure tank and hot water heater is new, insulated, standard, etc. It is a natural gas heater, if that helps. We also have been diligent about cleaning out the intake filter (which does get clogged with sediment) but it doesn't resolve the issue. We are sort of desperate to figure it out so we don't go through another winter of heating pots of water up on the stove constantly! Also, the pressure gauge on the water pressure tank does seem to stay between normal psi limits so I don't think it's a lack of water coming in from the well. We recently flushed the water pressure tank after the new pump was installed and the water ran from a hose for almost three hours before we had to let the well recover. Again, the cold water is always fine but we haven't figured out the issue with the hot water pressure. The hot water tank is set to 120 degrees. Not sure if that could be a problem? I'm wondering if it's something really simple that is being overlooked. The manual for the Rinnai does have troubleshooting but there is nothing in there for this specific problem. Has anyone else had or resolved this problem? Thank you so much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks