Moen Chateau shower valve identity - dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

holmem

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help...
I have attached three pics of my shower valve. The house was built in 1973, and its the original valve. It will not fully shut off the water, and also feels like there's either something pushing back, or it slams shut with a good bang. Neither will completely stop the leak.
Five years ago I had a plumber repair it. He told me it was an old cartridge, and required a special tool. This time I want to do it myself, since I feel its going to fail again in a few years. The reason I called the plummer the last time was once I remove the knob and plate, I couldn't see any other fasteners or threaded components that I could remove next.

1. Can anyone identify the brand/model from the pics I attached?
2. Can you tell me what tool I need to purchase for removal?

Thanks
Mike

IM000308_comp.jpg
IM000309_comp.jpg
IM000310_comp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be nice to see a photo of the cartridge. In other words, remove the handle and trim plate. Then take a photo.

To replace any cartridge, you need to turn off the water to the shower. Most cartridges have a stem that you can pull on with a pliers. There are also cartridge pullers if that doesn't work.

holmem

Reaction score
Thanks.
Tommorrow I will remove what I can and take another photo. My intention was to try and identify what I needed and make sure someone has the correct cartridge before I tried to remove it. My only shut-off (other than the street) is in my crawl space, and somewhat difficult to get to.

I did read somewhere that once you get to the stem, you can screw the knob back on and use it to pull out the cartridge. Will that work? If not, is a cartridge puller a "universal" tool, or does it take different ones to fit your cartridge?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
holmem said:
Thanks.
I did read somewhere that once you get to the stem, you can screw the knob back on and use it to pull out the cartridge. Will that work? If not, is a cartridge puller a "universal" tool, or does it take different ones to fit your cartridge?

Screwing the handle back on is not much diferent than pulling with a pliers. I know Moen has its own cartridge puller, but I'm not sure about the others. Hence, the photo.

BTW, if you can pull it out, just bring it with you to a plumbing supply shop and match it up.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is an original Moen Chateau . Get a moen 1225B cartridge and some new trim.

Can be found on the moen web site .

Cal

moen1225.gif

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

holmem

Reaction score
Success!

Yes, Cal, you called it! Actually, once I took it apart to get another photo I found the Moen name stamped on the coverplate. Then, with the help of their WEB site, I could see the 1225 was it. Got the part at Home Depot last night, and got it installed before bedtime. I was able to just use pliers along with light tapping with a rubber mallot on the fixture housing to break the cartridge loose. Success!
I appreciate everyone's responses and help! Great forum...:D
Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Great job! Sound like you have the "touch" for plumbing work. These valves can be stubborn, and you found a technique which worked.

I am surprised how long it took for someone to ID it! The little bump-out on the sleeve is of course the dead giveaway for Moen.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
" I am surprised how long it took for someone to ID it"

What was that ,,,,,,,,, a TEST ?? You moderators just lurking around ?

If you's can help someone earlier , jump on in the ring !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

If it was a test then they would have to come up with a better subject line than "identify a faucet". That is usually a topic that gets a dozen answers within the first few minutes and does not warrant opening, until there is nothing else to do and you want to see how many answers identified it correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks