Moen 1200b cartridge stiff

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cpowers, Dec 22, 2012.

1. cpowers

cpowers New Member

Had a Moen solara faucet for several years, i have replaced the cartidge before and it was a plastic one 1225 i believe. After about 3 or 4 years it started leaking so i called moen and they sent me a 1200b. all seem to install fine, but things are not like before.

The handle is very tight on the cold side, does not move nearly as smooth over all, and seems to bind at the extremes. Also it seems to have somewhat less flow.

Is this nature of the beast, do i just need to get a 1225?

Would disassembly and silicone grease solve anything?

also the small spring washer has broken twice, what am i doing wrong with that? Thanks!

Chris

http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/7570pt.pdf
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I prefer the 1225 for smoothness.
    The brass tends to last longer, but may be stiffer. It's okay to pull it apart and lube them. Plumbers do that all the time.